¤Fourteen¤

Servant's entrance, Downton Abbey

Elsie was still somewhat in shock. Charlie had yet to take his eyes off the foreigner. Miss O'Brien, well Mrs Goswami now, smirked at them. "Aren't you going to invite us in?" Charlie fumbled with his words, and invited them in. Mr Goswami smiled, his pearly white teeth showing. "I am so honoured to finally meet you Mr Carson, Sarah has told me great things about you." He reached to shake Charlie's hand.

Charlie took it graciously, but seemed slightly puzzled by his accent. Miss O'Brien smiled, "Mahesh's mother is an english heiress but when she married Mahesh's father her family disowned her, thus explaining why Mahesh had to work for Lord and Lady Flintshire." Mr Goswami smiled again and kissed Elsie's hand. "I believe congratulations are in order, on your wedding plans. We hope to attend, if you'd allow us."

Mahesh was clearly more softly spoken and mannerly than his wife. Daisy nudged Mr Patmore, "how did Miss O'Brien trick him into marrying her?" She whispered. Mrs Patmore stifled her chuckle, "now Daisy, that's not very kind". "She's just saying what we're all thinking" Thomas added, not taking his eyes from his former smoking partner for a second.

"Welcome to Downton, and thank you, Mr... ahh.." Charlie said. Mahesh seemed to constantly be smiling.

"Goswami"

"Gos...?"

"Just call me Mahesh"

"Ahhh..."

"George then, it's my middle name."

"George, the name of the child heir of Downton" Charlie mused. Sarah Goswami rolled her eyes. "You don't have to make allowances for him you know. Mahesh Goswami isn't impossible to pronounce." Mahesh (or George, whatever you want to call him) took his wife's hand and kissed it, "It doesn't matter dear, we're here now. The grand house of Downton Abbey."

○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○

The Library, Downton Abbey

Edith was met by a brief "Hello" from her mother, a glare from her sister and nothing from her father. Basically her usual greeting. This time there wasn't even Carson to open the door for her, and she had to ring twice before someone came to take her bags.

"Did I miss anything while I was gone?" She queried. Mary looked up from her magazine. "Why, were you gone somewhere? I didn't notice." Cora wasn't even bothered enough to correct Mary's cruel attitude. Simon was still on her mind, he left early that morning, but was bound to invite himself again quite soon. Simon was also on Robert's mind, he was getting increasingly worried about Cora leaving him.

Edith surveyed the room. "I went to dinner with a man I barely know last night." Nothing, they didn't even look up. "We spent the night together, it was like one of those unsuitable novels." Still nothing. "I just found out that I have two days left to live". Robert looked up slightly. "Oh, Edith you're back!" Edith swallowed. "Yes, yes I am."

○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○

The Dowager House

Violet was going out for luncheon, for the first time in a long time. This was of course the perfect chance for Spratt and Denker to make peace and 'bond'. The Dowager was barely out the door when Denker pulled out the whiskey (from, Spratt noticed, a highly unprofessional location on her person).

"How are we going to do this?" Spratt asked. Denker shrugged, "I don't know, want a drink?" In normal circumstances Spratt would decline, but he wanted to keep this job, and peace making seemed so much easier while fueled with alcohol. Gladys Denker was always the one to spark conversation. Now however, she seemed to have run out of interesting topics. Then something sprang to mind, it was boring but it was all she had. "Tell me, how'd you come to work here?"