¤Four¤

Somewhere in the Yorkshire countryside

Lady Mary held onto her hat. Mr Talbot was a fast driver. He laughed when he saw her terrified expression. The air of early spring chilled Mary's cheeks almost as cold as her heart was said to be. Icey indeed. Henry did slow down slightly after a while. Mary breathed again. "My my, you do drive awfully fast!" She called over the wind that flowed loudly past their ears. He smiled at her, "this is the fastest car in England. Some day it's top speed will be called slow. I suggest that you adapt to it." Mary tossed her head back, "I highly doubt it. Not in my lifetime anyway", she scoffed.

Mr Talbot was staying the night at Downton. This meant that Mary could show him off and boast accross the dinner table at Edith. Why all of Msry's allies kept dying or leaving, she would never know. Sybil, Matthew, Tom and Rose. All gone. At least Tom and Rose were still breathing.

They reached the Abbey and Henry helped her out of the car. He was handsome, with his dark hair and structured face, and Mary liked him. But she had the strangest feeling that he didn't feel the same way. This had to simply be Mary's imagination - no man was immune to The Mary Crawley Charm. He smiled at her when they went in and they parted ways to dress for dinner.

Then  Anna came up. Anna had become more than a lady's maid, she had become one of Mary's closest friends - and now seemed to be her only ally. "I am so happy that you are back, you know. I have missed our little conversations." Anna smiled. "Well, thank you M'lady. I have missed you too."

          ○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○

The Dining Room- Downton Abbey

They sat down to dinner. Mary sat beside Henry and opposite Edith. Cora was opposite Henry and Robert sat at the head of the table. There were so few people upstairs these days. Less work for Mrs Patmore and Daisy she supposed. Barrow and Carson did all of the serving themselves. Edith tried to make small talk with Henry, but Mary kept butting in. She wasn't going to let Edith spoil the one good thing she had.

Cora talked to Robert. She may as well have been speaking to a brick wall. Robert was silent, as though he hadn't heard her. Then he started asking Henry about cars. Mary scowled, trust her father to ruin everything. Cora pursed her lips and turned to Edith. Edith told Cora about Marigold. After a few minutes of this Mary snapped. "Oh shut up Edith! No one cares about your stupid orphan child!". The room went silent.

Mr Barrow asked Henry if he wanted any more gravey. Henry nodded slowly as Thomas poured and for a split second their eyes met. Henry touched Thomas's hand. "That is enough" he said. Thomas bowed, smiled and went back to standing at the wall.

The moment Henry's hand brushed his, Thomas's heart beat faster than ever. He staightened his collar, he could barely breathe. Maybe he was in love. Too bad it was with Lady Mary's suitor.

      ○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○

After the meal, Cora went up to her room. She wasn't feeling well. It wasn't the food, that she was sure of. It was a strange feeling, almost familiar. She went into the washroom and looked at the looking glass. She frowned. Suddenly she vomitted.

Hi!! Please comment any thoughts you have , or whatever. What do you think is wrong with Cora? And what is your opinion on Thomas and Henry? Thank you for reading!
{SaskatFishcakes}xxx

CAST
Lady Grantham ~ Elizabeth McGovern
Mr Bricker ~ Richard E Grant
Lord Grantham ~ Hugh Bonneville
Charlie Carson ~ Jim Carter
Elsie Hughes ~ Phyllis Logan
Thomas Barrow ~ Rob James-Collier
Miss Baxter ~ Raquel Cassidy
Mr Moseley ~ Kevin Doyle
Mr Bates ~ Brendan Coyle
Anna Bates ~ Joanne Froggatt
Lady Mary ~ Michelle Dockery
Lady Edith ~ Laura Carmichael
Henry Talbot ~ Matthew Goode