¤Twenty - two¤

Thank you for over 3k reads!!!!
I've gained 1k in less than one month! !!
THANK YOU
okay, back to the story. .....

Rosamund's house, London

Mr Thompson hadn't been in the house long before he fainted. A doctor had been called and now the American lay in one of Rosamund's spare rooms. The maids had cleaned him up and the doctor removed the bullet from his arm. David was still in pain, but Rosamund was determined to get answers sooner rather than later. She didn't want her favourite niece falling for a delinquent wanted by the police, and forever getting into life threatening fights.

She sat at the bedside and sipped her fourth cup of tea, she would be getting no sleep this night. "Tell me exactly what happened." David squirmed uncomfortably beneath the covers. "I was attacked." Rosamund rose one eyebrow, "yes, because I hadn't already guessed that". David sighed, the ghost of a smile playing on his lips at the older woman's sarcasm. "I was at the office, it was late. It was just me and Miss Porter the secretary. She was doing something at the reception and I was writing an article. But I kept daydreaming and kinda - zoned out, you know what I mean? I didn't notice them come up behind me. Then they attacked." Rosamund eyed him suspiciously, "Do you know who 'they' are?" She asked.

"Yes. I, I owe them some money."

"How much?"

"About ......two - hundred dollars."

Rosamund gasped, "Two hundred dollars! How on earth did you manage to owe them that much? Did you try to buy a house!?" David felt really awkward. "I needed it to come to England and to find a place to stay. I had to buy a typewriter and paper and ink. I needed smart clothes and shoes. I needed food. I needed money to pay for cinema visits." He said in an attempt to explain his reasons. Rosamund sat up straighter and pursed her lips, and for a moment David could see The Dowager in front of him. "And were these cinema visits entirely necessary?"she queried. David didn't reply.

"As I thought. I want you to tell Edith at the earliest opportunity, and then break off your relationship."

"What! But I love her! I can't break up with her."

"You are in debt and in danger, and I do not wish to see my niece getting dragged into your web of deceit and violence."

For a moment David didn't know what to say. Then he decided to stand up fof himself. "I, I won't do it! I am in love with Edith and there is nothing you can do to stop us being together. Nothing! I have plans to marry her and love and cherish her the way she deserves." Rosamund wasn't expecting such an outburst, but she held her ground none the less. "You don't know anything about her. You don't know what she has been through, you know nothing. You only met her a few months ago." David sat up as straight as he could, wincing as an arrow of pain shot through his arm. He looked steely into Rosamund's eyes. "If you are talking about Sir Anthony Strallen and Marigold, I do know. I promise to protect, love, cherish and worship Edith and her daughter and I will not be persuaded to do otherwise."

Rosamund rose her eyebrows. "Very well. But when Lord Grantham finds out about this little adventure, you will be eating your words."

○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○

Downton Abbey

After dinner, Áine asked Tom if she could go downstairs and meet the servants. They were the first to befriend Tom when he arrived at Downton, and she wanted to thank the cook for the delicious meal. Tom reluctantly agreed to accompany her, he remembered the uproar that had occurred when Miss Bunting ventured downstairs. Then again, Áine was technically a lady's maid.