¤Ten¤

The Grounds, Downton Abbey

Mary slid her hand into Henry's as they walked. He smiled slightly and didn't move away, but didn't seem comfortable either. They reached the Abbey and Mary let go. "I must go up, I shall see you at dinner." She said softly.Mr Talbot smiled back. Silence.

At the other side of Downton's grounds, Anna kissed her husband. "I love you." She whispered. "I love you more." He smiled. She laughed into his forehead, before tottering off to tend to Mary's needs. Mr Bates straightened his hat and grinned after her. Anna was beautiful and perfect and kind and loving, and he loved her for it.

He was about to walk away, when he spotted a car trundling up the drive. It parked outside the door and Mr Bricker climbed out. He marched in the door as if he owned the place. "How odd..." John muttered to himself and continued on his way.

         ○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○

Upstairs, Downton Abbey

Cora grabbed Simon by the arm and led him to a side room. She shut the door behind them. "I told you not to come." She said.

"Hello to you too Cora"

"Simon -"

"Cora,  he must find out eventually"

"And I will be the one to tell him in my own time in my own way. Please, stop meddling."

"I love you."

"I know, I just need to do this myself."

Simon took her by the waist and kissed her. Suddenly Robert's voice could be heard ringing out "Cora? Where are you?" He called. Cora stayed silent. Robert's voice grew fainter as he wandered off and when she deemed it safe, she pushed the door open a fraction.

There was no one around, so they both left the room together. After a few moments, Cora called out for Robert. He came downstairs quite quickly but paused at the sight of Simon. "Mr Bricker, what a surprise." Robert said bitterly. Simon forced a smile. "Cora invited me." Cora coughed uncomfortably to cover up the gagging sounds.

"I told you, remember?" She preteded, silently screaming at Simon. Robert frowned. "Of course". Came his reluctant answer. Silence again. "Let us go through." Cora smiled. The men swallowed their pride and followed her in.

     ○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○

Michael Greggson's Newspaper

Edith sat. Suddenly there was a knock on the door. Mr Thompson poked his head around the door and grinned. "Hi." Edith glared at him. "What on earth are you doing?" He simply smiled. "I came to invite you to dinner tonight." She blinked. "What?" "I think you heard me Miss Crawley."

"Obviously I heard you."

"I want to take you out for dinner tonight."

"I am not sure if that is entirely proper, I, I don't know what to say."

"Say yes."

"Mr Thompson, I shall have to think on it."

"What is there to think about? You either want to go or you don't."

"I barely know you!"

"Then we can find out more about each other. I won't take no for an answer. .."

"Alright then."

"I shall see you at six."

"Okay."

"See ya!" And he was gone.

Edith sat. And smiled.

       ○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○

The Dining Room, Downton Abbey

Mary smiled at Henry, but he was looking beyond her, at a certain under butler with a devilish smile. She ignored it. Robert glared at Simon and even more at Cora who was giggling, slightly flirtatiously, with Simon. The Dowager rose her eyebrows every so often and scowled disapprovingly at her hosts. Isobel and Dr Clarkson were also present, and soon Violet turned her attention to getting them together.

Thomas smiled at Henry. Henry smiled back and gestured for some more gravy. Gravy was what brought them together essentially, and the casual request for it was a chance to be close to one another. As Thomas poured the dark brown liquid over Henry's plate, Mr Talbot slipped a note into Thomas's pocket. No one noticed, as Robert had attempted to break the ice surrounding him by asking Carson about wedding dates. Charlie blushed slightly. Upon hearing the date, however, the room went back to the awkward conversation.

"Edith is not here." Simon said. Robert cut his steak slowly, "How observant of you." Cora rolled her eyes,"there is no need to be like that Robert". Robert smiled sarcastically and continued to eat. Mary moved her foot sightly and accidentally (though it didn't exactly bother her), nudged Henry's foot. He looked up and eyed Mary who gave no sign of movement. He smiled and nudged her back.

All was well upstairs.

For now.

Ten chapters in, over 900 reads!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!
Thanks for all of the votes and reads and comments and stuff!! Love you all!!! Hope you are enjoying this little fanfic and be sure to comment your opinions, i love to read your response.

Thank you again

{SaskatFishcakes } xxx

CAST
Lady Grantham ~ Elizabeth McGovern
Mr Bricker ~ Richard E Grant
Lord Grantham ~ Hugh Bonneville
Charlie Carson ~ Jim Carter
Elsie Hughes ~ Phyllis Logan
Thomas Barrow ~ Rob James-Collier
Miss Baxter ~ Raquel Cassidy
Mr Moseley ~ Kevin Doyle
Mr Bates ~ Brendan Coyle
Anna Bates ~ Joanne Froggatt
Lady Mary ~ Michelle Dockery
Denker ~ Sue Johnston
Spratt ~ Jeremy Swift
Lady Edith ~ Laura Carmichael
Henry Talbot ~ Matthew Goode
Daisy Mason ~ Sophie McSherra
Mrs Patmore ~ Leslie Nicol