¤Eleven¤

London, a nice restaurant

Edith smiled at him. David Thompson smiled back. They talked and laughed and Edith suddenly felt peculiarly comfortable around him, as though they had known one another for numerous years.

Silence was short lived and they discovered, to Edith's surprise and David's delight, that that had much in common. Edith's heart fluttered when he smiled, and somersaulted when he said her name. David's eyes glittered every time she laughed, and sparkled when she smiled his name.

David may have been in love. His was not aware of it yet, at least not consciously. Similarly, Edith had yet to discover the deep love and longing she had for Mr Thompson. They would both discover this soon enough though.

○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○

Boston, Branson Automobiles

Tom sighed. Here he was, working with his brother in the new world, being his own independent person, not relying on the Grantams to keep him alive and well. Not packing Sybbie away with the Nanny, dressing himself and not feeling awkward. Everything he had wanted.

Boston had not disappointed him. Work was good, customers were flying in. The people were nice, he had already made a few friends. One could not wish for much better. And yet, there was something missing.

He missed Downton. He missed Cora and her kindness, Robert and their friendship of sorts, Mary and their alliance, and Edith, he missed Edith's understanding of being the odd one out, sometimes being ignored slightly, overlooked as a member of the family. He missed Carson, how could one but love the butler. He missed Mrs Hughes, she was always so nice to him. He missed Anna and Bates, Baxter, Moseley, Mrs Patmore, even Thomas. Daisy ofcourse, so lost sometimes, but a kinder and lovelier soul one could not fathom.

He missed George and Marigold, and knew that Sybbie did too. Downton still felt like home, maybe it always would. Suddenly his brother walked in. "You have a letter from Downton." He said curtly, handing it to him.

Tom tore open the envelope. His eyes scanned the words feverishly, searching for a taste of the place he longed for. Then, he stopped in his tracks. There it was, his ticket back to Downton. It stared at him. There could not have been better news. Carson and Mrs Hughes were getting married. Finally. William owed him money. Except now he was dead. Tears came to Tom's eyes.

He must go back, and this time, stay.

○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○

Outside the front door of Downton Abbey

The stars twinkeled, and the moon shone brightly. Henry stared at the sky. The air surrounding him was cold, but he ignored it. Suddenly he heard footsteps and the lighting of a match. He turned to see none other than the dapper under butler, Thomas Barrow.

He started at the sight of this Mr Talbot, and was about to leave hastily. "Stay." Henry called. Thomas puffed his cigarette and walked over. "Want one?" He asked, as nonchalantly as was humanly possible when one's heart was beating ridiculously fast. Just looking at Henry made him shiver, but in a good, fantastic way.

Henry smiled, and politely declined. He looked away quickly, his burning desire to kiss him was incredible. There was quiescence. Thomas could hear an owl in the distance. " You seem to be getting on very well with Lady Mary." Thomas said. Henry shrugged. "Yes, although it isn't ideal."

"Why? Do you not like her?"

"I like her, it's just that I don't love her. Not like she wants me to."

"She really likes you though Sir. She thinks you might be the one to replace Matthew."

"Oh dear. I can't believe I have led her to think this. What shall I do?"

"Well, you must tell her the truth. She deserves to know."

"Yes, she does."

Conversation slowly died. After a few moments Henry looked at Thomas carefully. He looked back. Suddenly their eyes were locked, and neither could empower themselves to even attempt to tear their eyes away. Henry let his hand brush against Thomas's, casually at first, but when he didn't draw away, he took it.

They held hands for a moment, then turned to watch the stars. No words were spoken. Then Henry leaned in. They kissed. For the first time in a long time, Thomas was happy. Henry was happy too, his time with Mary seemed distant and strange. They kissed beneath the stars, shyly at first, then gradually building up into something more urgent. Hunger for love, happiness and acceptance fueled their kisses.

Then Thomas pushed him away with a yell. "Get away from me! Stay away! I could have you reported!" He cried, backing away. Henry's face was creased in confusion. Why was he doing this? Then he understood. Mary stood in the doorway. Thomas must have sensed her somehow and naturally, didn't want to be fired, or arrested.

Mary watched in horror. " Mr Talbot! " she managed to say after a few moments. "What, what happened?" She scrambled for an explanation that meant that Henry wasn't homosexual, but she failed to find one. The man she had planned to spend the rest of her life with, to raise her son with, to marry, was 'queer'. He was against god. Wrong, a mistake. Sick. Disgusting.

Henry watched her, terrified as to what she would do. She liked to think that she was modern, but no one was that modern. She didn't react for a while. "You disgust me." She said after a moment. Henry was tempted to bow his head in shame but instead looked her straight in the eye and smiled. "How do you know he didn't kiss me? That I was the one to lean in?"

Mary stifled slightly. "We don't employ, 'your kind' in this house. That is how I know. I will ask you to leave." She spat. "Very well Lady Mary. I will set off first thing tomorrow." Henry replied curtly. "I am very close to reporting you." She said. "Fine. Do as you wish." Henry answered and walked briskly inside. Mary was left quite shocked. Thomas stood awkwardly.

Silence. "You may go now Thomas. Never speak of this." Thomas bowed. "Ofcourse M'Lady". Damn! That probably wasn't the correct thing to say. He should have said 'I will try to hide the disgust I have for him' or 'how can I stand by and not report him?'. 'Of course' sounded like he didn't care what had just happened, or even that he had enjoyed it (which he had).

Luckily she didn't notice. She was already forming a dastardly plan.

So that just happened! please rememberto vote and leave a comment. I love to hear your thoughts!

**********ATTENTION **************

I now have OVER 1K READS!!!!!!!!✅✅✅✅✅ YAY!

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH! !

CAST
Lady Grantham ~ Elizabeth McGovern
Mr Bricker ~ Richard E Grant
Lord Grantham ~ Hugh Bonneville
Charlie Carson ~ Jim Carter
Elsie Hughes ~ Phyllis Logan
Thomas Barrow ~ Rob James-Collier
Miss Baxter ~ Raquel Cassidy
Mr Moseley ~ Kevin Doyle
Mr Bates ~ Brendan Coyle
Anna Bates ~ Joanne Froggatt
Lady Mary ~ Michelle Dockery
Denker ~ Sue Johnston
Spratt ~ Jeremy Swift
Lady Edith ~ Laura Carmichael
Henry Talbot ~ Matthew Goode
Daisy Mason ~ Sophie McSherra
Mrs Patmore ~ Leslie Nicol