Chapter 47

She entered his room and her feet froze.

His room. Now Their room.

So much had transpired within these four walls. It used to be filled with their laughter, their banter, Sidharth’s heavy voice trying to explain her the changing dynamics of world economics, the intricacies of stock and bullion market.

The far end of these discussions would always end up with her falling asleep in his arms and then he would wake her up again. This time to make love to her, to savor her sweetness. And the room would be filled again with her moans and his name cried out in the throes of passion.

But now the space felt alien and cold, just like her heart. “Ohh baby…finally ur mine. My wife” Hugging her from behind, he peppered the side of her face with kisses. “huh…yeah, a wife of convenience” she muttered under her breath and pulled away from him, marching straight to the closet, seething in anger.

She first wanted to get rid of the jewels she was adorning. They made her feel like a decorated animal, primed before the circus starts. She took off the necklace first and then began to yank off the earrings and tossed them on the dresser.

Sidharth who was close on her heels, saw it and remarked instantly “Those jewels you are carelessly throwing around are worth lacs Shehnaaz” chiding her attitude out of habit, he walked closer to her and in a beat she whirled around, angry and teary eyed.

“wow you seem to be so bothered about these lifeless jewels” she slow clapped, throwing daggers at him “But what about me? Did you even once think before mixing me into your heinous plan? Before toying with my emotions? you made a fool out of me. You reduced something as sacred as marriage into a small game, that you played perfectly to your benefit. You used me to get back to your parents, to overpower them by fulfilling the clause Badepapa tied you with, you lied to me, every single time, you cheated me” she lashed out, shouting every word hoarsely.

Sidharth’s brain froze and he closed his eyes for some respite, as her words stung him. She knew, what he did. His heart dipped into the pit of his stomach. She wasn’t supposed to know anything of this, he had taken every precaution, every measure he could to avoid her from getting to know the truth. Ever. How the hell??? He thought for a second but his eyes flew to her face. His bride, she was supposed to be happy and smiling but all he saw was a constant stream of hot tears trickling down her face which had gone red with anger.

So this is what was bothering her, she probably thought he married her just for the sake of the will. He couldn’t figure just how this piece of info reached her, but now the shit had hit the fan.

He had to calm her down first, he told himself and moved closer to her “Its not how you think my love. Gimme a chance to explain” he spoke softly but was soon enough cut by yet another lashing from her.

“Explain !! yeah right” emphasizing an expression of shock, she threw a disgusted look at him. “I don’t want any explanation. Because I know every thing you say now will weave an even denser web of lies than you already have. I don’t want to fall in that trap again” she wiped her face, trying an old technique of counting back numbers which she had taught even him.

Finally when she felt she had gathered herself she looked at him with a steely resolve.

“You have got what you wanted, this marriage has finally given you a chance to settle scores with your parents, and not to forget the wealth you have all for yourself now. Think of this as a parting gift for me and let me g..” she had turned to leave but the strong grip of his hand on her arm held her back

“What..what do you mean?” with a horror stricken face he asked

“It means, I AM LEAVING” uncurling his fingers she yelled. “I cannot possibly live under a roof with an insensitive jerk like you. You made me quit my job, you made me believe in a happy future with you but now all this fake love and concern and the falsified emotions are making me sick to my gut. You have ruined my life enough by closing all the doors of escape. And you have left a void inside me that I will take ages to get over. So much for loving you, Sidharth. With all I ever had” with her tears, every last bit of love she felt for him was pouring out.