Chapter 6

I opened my eyes and saw myself back in my house; more specifically in my room. I was sitting on my bed and I could hear the TV on in the living room. The pain I felt before had all gone away. I felt a sense of peace back at my home. I got up from my bed and subconsciously walked out and headed to the living room. The lights in the house were all turned off except for the living room lights.

"Hello?" I called out. There was a pause except for the sound of the TV. It sounded like the news was on, but something from forever ago.

"Clara-bug. Why don't you join me at the TV?" I stopped in my tracks when I heard the voice of my dad come from the living room. "Well, Clara-bug? Are you just gonna stand there?" I took in a shaky breath and slowly walked to the living room. There, I saw him. He had one arm rested on the couch and his other arm was down by his side. He had a beer in his hand resting on his thigh and he was smiling at me.

"Daddy? Is that really you?" He looked around and then sighed.

"I'm pretty sure it is. I hope there isn't another man." He patted his free hand on the cushion, and I sat down next to him.

"Dad, how are you here? I haven't seen you in 13 years?" My dad acted as if he didn't even hear my question. Instead he pointed at the TV.

"Never believe what the news says. It's all full of crap."

"Dad." He looked directly at me. "Dad, you're dead?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Suppose I am."

"This doesn't make sense...I was in some sort of lab not too long ago and now I'm home. How did I get here? Was it all a dream?" My dad grabbed the remote and paused the TV.

"Think back to your studying. When a person is flatlining, what happens?" I thought back to everything I've learned.

"Well, it depends on the case. CPR is probably the best option though. But sometimes..."

"Let me say that again." He interrupted me. "What happens to the patient when they flatline." I was confused about what he was asking for a while, but then it hit me.

"It is rumored that when a person is flatlining, their loved ones are their to greet them and bring them to heaven...dad, am I dying?" He wrapped his arms around my shoulders.

"You're dying, but your not dead yet. I'm just here to make the journey more welcoming if you do choose to come. What your mother did to you...to us, I wish I could've prevented it. I can't believe she is the same woman I fell in love with, but when she learned about Hydra, something clicked in her brain. And it's my fault because I let her fall into it. I didn't notice in time to stop her. And now you are paying for it."

"No daddy! It's not your fault. It's mine. I just wanted to make you proud. But now I will never get the chance to." I leaned on his shoulder and he rubbed my arm with his hand.

"You will always make me proud. And remember, you aren't dead yet. Your body right now, it's trying to fight the serum, but it is up to you. Are you mentally ready to die?" I thought about that. Am I ready to die? Is anyone ever ready to die? If I gave up, my corpse would probably be lost to the world, but I'd be able to join my father again, and I can be happy with the only person I ever really loved.

"Daddy. I don't know what to do. I...I don't want to leave you again, but I'm not ready to die either. I know I said I'd rather die than become an experiment, but I don't think I really meant that." I got up from the couch and started to pace.