Chapter 14

On the evening of the second day, the three travellers road into a camp, actually more like a huge celebration. Hundreds of Israelites had come together to celebrate their victory over the Midianites, and divide their spoils. Wholesome sheep were roasting over open fires. Wine flowed in abundance. Gideon not knowing the reason for this gathering felt frustrated and disappointed that the place they had chosen to overnight, had been overrun by these merrimakers. As they pressed on, seeking a quite spot to pitch camp, the men recognised Gideon and surrounding their horses forced the trio to stop and join in the celebrations.

As the night wore on, the festivities intensified. Gideon noticed that Cia was receiving unhealthy attention from some of the men. The fact that she was only a child didn't seem to matter to men who saw everything through alcohol tinted eyes. He gave Purah the task of standing guard at the shelter they had erected to sleep under, and warned Cia not to wander off unattended. She was not the only female in the camp, but the others were camp-followers, who were there to satisfy the men's needs, and fill their purses.

A group of men, singing and laughing, approached the shelter. Gideon's first thought was that they had come to take Cia by force. When they reached the shelter, it was a surprised Gideon they took hold of. They lifted him high on their shoulders and with chants of "Gideon our hero!" and "Make way for our king!" they marched him off to the centre of the camp. There they plonked him down on some boxes they had heaped up and shouted.
"Behold the king of Israel, sitting on his throne."

Gideon didn't know what to make of this behaviour or what to do. These men clearly had too much wine to drink. He was just about to descend from his throne, when a group of leaders, who Gideon recognised as chiefs from various Israelite tribes came and stood in front of him. They were smiling but clearly not inebriated. One of group stepped forward and addressed Gideon.
"Our most esteemed judge and battle commander, forgive the actions of the men who brought you here. They merely want to salute the man who won them, their freedom. Who is so in touch with our God that he hears the very voice of Yahweh. We believe you entered our camp tonight not by chance, but you were sent here by fate so that we can honour what you have done for our nation. We want to make you king. You deserve this honour. Will you accept this position we offer you, not only to you but to your bloodline. Your son shall be king and his son after him. Your victory shall live on through your sons and grandsons forever. How say you?"

Gideon had played with the idea of being king. It was foremost on his mind when he named his son. He knew how the people felt, it wouldn't take much to prompt the leaders to elect him as King. And here it was, they had, of their own accord, approached him with their offer. Yet everytime he stood on the brink of a decision, he got cold feet. Responsibility wasn't his strong point. Tonight was no different. He was revelling in a warm glow as the leaders spoke, but the minute they stopped talking, his whole body went ice cold.

He stuttered forth his answer.
"Men of Israel, my brothers, we have never had a king to rule over us. It is easy to say, be king! But will you listen and obey someone with such authority? I am your judge and am satisfied to be your conscious. It costs you little. If I became king...I would demand a palace, an army of bodyguards and grand food on my table. There will be taxes, to pay for the king's lifestyle, are you prepared for that?
We have a king. Yahweh is our king. If you have plenty, give to Him. He deserves the glory. I will not be your king, nor my sons or grandsons."

The men answered.
"But you have God's ear, if not for you, we would not be free and celebrating now. We are in your debt. How can we repay you?"

Gideon thought for a minute before replying.
" You owe me nothing, but answer me this. Did the men you slew have gold rings in their ears? "

"Yes they did. It is the Ishmaelite custom. We removed the earrings and it is part of the plunder. Why do you ask?" The leaders queried.

"If it pleases you, I would like a gold ring from each of you, as part of my spoil."

"Of course our dear brother, we will arrange it immediately." The main leader removed his cloak and threw it on the ground. The men went to their belongings and collected the rings. They returned to the fire, casting the earrings on the cloak. When the men had finished celebrating and dividing the spoils, they slowly made their way to their tents. Many who had too much wine, slept where they had passed out.

Gideon took hold of the cloak and tried to move it. The mound of gold was too heavy. He went and called Purah to help. Both men could not move the cloak and it started to tear. Gideon decided to ask for 2 pack horses. There were spare horses. The food and drink that had been brought on the pack animals, had been consumed. Early the next morning, with the aid of some volunteers, they packed the earrings into sacks and lashed the sacks to the pack horses. Bidding those that were awake, farewell, Gideon and his group departed. Hopefully they would be in Orphrah the following day. Going was slow as their speed was governed by the pack animals.

When Gideon arrived home, the people of Orphrah came out to greet him. His son, Jether and Jael the runner had told the people of Gideon's battles and the decisive way he had dealt with the towns of Succoth and Peniel. The beheading of the Midian kings had sealed his fate as a hero. Rumours that he might even be king also preceded him. They questioned him about his detour to Shechem, but he remained silent about that matter, not giving any reason for his visit. He had warned both Cia and Purah not to say anything about the baby. Gideon had his doubts about Cia's ability to keep the secret, but Cia liked Trumah very much and none of Gideon's wives treated her with the same respect that her friend did, so she was only too glad to know something they didn't. Some of his wives whispered secretly, saying he probably went to de-stress himself from the rigours of war, allowing himself to succumb to the magic fingers of his so-called therapist. Little did they know!

After the hype of his return had died down, Gideon gave some thought to the gold spoils of war that he had brought back. He stashed away enough of the plunder to ensure he could support his large family in his old age. He felt guilty about keeping it all for himself. He decided to make an ephod, completely from gold. He had it fashioned, using the design of the ephod the high priest wore. He was very disappointed when priestly order refused to accept the garment, saying it was firstly, too heavy to be worn by the high priest and secondly, the high priest's ephod was made of materials which had very specific meanings and gold represented power and kingship which would totally clash with the priestly role. Thus Gideon returned home with his golden garment. It was a beautiful crafted piece of work and Gideon did not want to melt it down or re-work it.

While he kept it in his house, people would bother him just to have a look at the beautiful garment. Purah was unfortunately the one who would have to take the spectators to the room where the ephod was kept and keep watch to see that no-one damaged it while viewing it. It was therefore no surprise when he approached Gideon and demanded that this thing be taken somewhere else, perhaps somewhere where the local and visiting people could view the garment without disturbing Purah as he went about his normal duties.

After some thought, Gideon had a cage constructed in the town square and cemented in the ground. He placed the golden ephod in the cage and locked it with a strong lock. People could now view the garment through the metal bars.

A few weeks after the ephod had been placed in the cage, Purah came to call Gideon and told his master that he had to come and see this sight. They both made their way to the centre of the town. Gideon couldn't believe his eyes. There was a long queue of people leading up to the cage. Gideon made his way past the waiting people. In the front stood two charlatans. They made the people pay to to touch the ephod, claiming it had special powers of healing and recovery. Others would pay just to bow down and pray to the golden garment. Gideon stood dumbstruck. When his surprise had passed, he grabbed a stick from a cripple man, making the poor man grasp out to the people nearest him to prevent him falling over. Gideon stormed the money-grabbers. He beat them and drove them away. He turned to the people and said, his voice quivering with anger.
"What is the meaning of this idolatry. This garment has no power! I made it to show off the skill of the goldsmiths, that is all. The only significance it has, is to show that the Midianites and Amalektites shall never rule us again. Yet here you are, bowing down and worshipping it, as if it is a god. Go home and worship and thank Yahweh for delivering us. He is the only true God."

The people slowly dispersed. Gideon ordered the town prefects to drive away or lock up any who were seen taking money from visitors, for the privilege of viewing the ephod. These precautions didn't really help. People still came to the cage and when they thought no-one was looking, would reach in and touch the garment, hoping for some sort of miracle.

Gideon detested what the people were doing, but he couldn't bring himself to destroy the ephod. And so the adulation continued.