Chapter 17

Jotham followed Abimilek's. trail back to Shechem. It wasn't very difficult. The ruffians left a trail of empty wine skins and half-eaten chicken carcasses, all along the route. Jotham followed carefully, he did not want to unintentionally find himself crashing into the camp of his would-be executioners.

Cia had packed him some food and basic utensils. He only had time to take the minimum amount of clothes. His father's old cloak was a must. It had served him well as a disguise when approaching Abimilek's thugs and kept him warm in the tomb. It also had suddenly developed sentimental value, seeing he was the only son to survive the massacre. He didn't consider Abimilek, Gideon's son, even though strictly speaking, he was. He didn't know how, but he prayed to Yahweh that if he couldn't revenge his brothers, Yahweh, for the sake of his father, would see to it that Abimilek received his just reward.
He had friends in the town of Beer, so if things went awry, he planned to high-tail it out of Shechem, and make haste to his selected town of refuge. Beer was situated in the desert, so he hoped Abimilek wouldn't find him there. Moses had dug a well there, so at least there was water. In fact the name meant well.

Jotham arrived near Shechem late afternoon. He wanted to see what Abimilek was up to, so he climbed up Mount Gerizim. Near the top, he found a clearing with an alter built in the middle. With the markings and sketches carved on the alter, he guessed it belonged to Baal-Berith. The stone tables and loungers around the alter suggested the priests indulged in esurient meals and erotic acts, probably with the female temple attendants. The place was well situated. It had a clear view of the valley in which Shechem was built. The town lay between Mount Gerizim and Mount Ebal. The Baal priests would make good use of the exceptional acoustics that existed between the two mounts. Chanting and addressing the people from this strategic position, would be heard by the whole town. Little did Jotham know that he would be using this phenomenon to his advantage in the near future.

Jotham settled in. He wanted to spy on Abimilek's movements. If perchance the Baal priests came to the alter, he would hear and see them with enough time to hide. That night and the whole of the next day, nothing out of the ordinary happened. Abimilek's men were sleeping off their hangovers, in their respective villages. Abimilek however was extremely active. He met with the town elders and his uncles, convincing them that he should be king. When they heard of the ruthless killing of his half-brothers, those that weren't so sure about his appointment, changed their vote lest they too, found themselves headless on the chopping stone.

Arrangements were made. Ironically the crowning ceremony would take place under the old oak tree next to the large stones on which Joshua had written God's laws, warning the Israelites of the consequences of disobedience.

On the second day, things changed. Jotham noticed an increase in activity. There was a continual flow of traffic to and from a large oak tree that stood just outside the city. Tables and chairs, banners and multicoloured ribbons, were all arranged around the tree. Jotham wondered what they were preparing for, but in his heart he knew it had something to do with Abimilek. The worst case scenario would be crowning Abimilek king. As he watched, he noticed a young girl slowly making her way up the mountain, picking flowers as she went along.
An idea formed in his head. He discarded his father's old cloak, and wrapping everything he had brought with, in it, he hid the bundle in the bushes. He made his way down the hill, staying within the cover of the trees and approaching the maiden from the town side, as if he too was climbing the hill, greeted her in a merry fashion. She paused in her task when she espied the man approaching but immediately relaxed when she noticed his pleasant disposition. Jotham spoke first.
"Greetings fair maiden! I see you have an eye for beauty. Such pretty flowers, are they for your mother?"

"No! I collect them for the ceremony."

"Ah! So you are getting married?"

She shook her head but blushed and smiled as she answered.
"You jest with me, for surely you know that tomorrow is an important day."

"You are the one who holds me at an disadvantage. I am but passing through but find no place to rest my head. Every lodging establishment is full. What great event has everyone in such a tizz? Please tell!"

"Oh please forgive me. I thought everyone knew. We are to have a king to rule over Shechem, Bue and the surrounding villages. Tomorrow the crowning ceremony will take place."

" And who is the lucky man upon whom such an important and prestigious position is bestowed?

"Shechem's own son, Abimilek"

Jotham swallowed hard to try and keep on smiling. He asked.
"So, is this man worthy of this honour you bestow on him?"

It was the girl who now lost her smile. She answered.
"I do not know him very well, but my mother grew up with him. They went to school together."

"What does she think of him?" Inquired Jotham.

"She says he talks too much. She says he has a chip on his shoulder, always has to be the best and have the best. She thinks it's because he is a bastard child who never really knew a father's love."

"And do you really want to make such a person king?"

The girl didn't know what to say. She just shrugged her shoulders. Jotham could sense the conversation was going in a direction that was making the girl feel uncomfortable, so he decided to take his leave.

"I must go now. Thank you for your time. I must go and write a speech for tomorrow."

"Oh, so you are coming to the ceremony, I thought you were just passing through?"

"Well I'm not exactly attending the proceedings, but if I get a chance I would like to address the gathering and say a few words."

"Why would you do that? Do you know Abimilek?"

"Oh yes I know him, we are close, in fact we are so close you could call us family!"
Jotham waved goodbye and went down hill. When he was sure the girl couldn't see him any more he changed directions and clammered up the mountain to his vantage point. He ate the last of the food Cia had packed for him. The preparations happening in the valley didn't interest him anymore. He had learnt all he wanted to know.

The following morning he awoke early. Munched on an apple he found in his bag, and drank only water. He packed up all his belongings and placed them where he could grab them and run. He had a sneaking suspicion that he may have to beat a hasty retreat.

,