Chapter 8

Gideon called a halt.
"We'll make camp here."
The men were despondent. For three days they had trekked across the country and not a sign of retreating Midianite soldiers. They did not believe the inhabitants of the small villages, they passed through, when they told them they were not hiding any enemy soldiers. They searched every house. To add to their misery, their food supply was running low.

A disturbance in the camp made Gideon look up from the fire he was forlornly gazing into. Purah came running to Gideon.
"Master, master! A runner has just returned. He has news that might lift your spirits."

"Bring him to me, though I'm not sure if anything he says will revive my downcast mood."

The runner looked worse than his men, clearly he had exerted himself to the point of near collapse.
The man struggled to talk, so keeping his eagerness under control, Gideon seated the man and ordered some water and biscuits be given him, in an attempt to settle the man and help him catch his breath. When the runner finished his meager refreshments, he closed his eyes and Gideon thought he was going to nod off to sleep. Worried looks flashed between those around the fire. Slowly, before his eyes opened, a smile crept over his face. When the runner finally opened his eyes, his gaze panned his audience, coming to rest on Gideon. The leader spoke first.
"You look weary, yet you smile. How so?"

"Forgive me, my lord, my mind drifted. For a moment I thought of the fine supper I enjoyed just two nights ago in a small village full of hostile men, only to receive water and biscuits on my return to my own camp."

"You are lucky to receive anything. My men had less than you this very night." Enough of such trivialities! We want to hear the news you bring, if any. It better be good news or I will throw you to the camp and the men can gut you and retrieve their biscuits."

The runner hadn't realised that the situation was so dire, otherwise he would never have made mention about the food. He put on a serious face and started his report.
Two nights ago, returning from the Jordan area, where the Israelite tribes you requested to help us, were breaking camp as no more Midianites or Amalektites were trying to cross the border. The Israelite tribes had captured and put to death all those who had tried to cross the river. Your brothers were very disgruntled. They had heard reports that two Midian kings, Zebah and Zalmunna, were still at large. They had hoped to capture them at the Jordan river too, but I think the reports of the capture and deaths of Zeeb and Oreb had reached them and they took a different route.

No-one knew where they were hiding, but reports were received that the kings, with just a few bodyguards were headed for a secret location to connect with all the Midianites who had escaped the Jezreel valley disaster. All survivors were to assemble there. We, unfortunately, do not know at this time where this place is and how many survivors there will be.

But as I was saying, I was on my way back, as there was nothing more going on at the Jordan river, when I stopped at a small village along the way to have something to eat."
The runner looked around nervously, he would have left this bit out if it wasn't an intrigal part of his story. He certainly wasn't going to linger on this point. So he quickly continued.
"The little tavern was full of locals and a few travellers. I noticed in the one corner, two men talking with there heads bowed very close together. At first I thought nothing of it, but what was strange was the fact that they did not remove their cloaks and even kept their hoods about their heads. With so many people in the tavern, it was hot and everyone else had removed their jackets or cloaks. I thought their actions were suspicious, so I tried to get nearer so I could hear what they were saying, but there were no empty tables nearby. I decided to go outside and wait, to see where they would go when they came out.

While I was waiting I heard noises and raised voices coming from the small village stable. I thought this strange also, so I ventured as close as I dared to see what was afoot. There were about ten men and even though their clothes were dirty and torn, it was clear they were soldiers. I was still too far away to hear what they were saying, so I raced back to the tavern and ordered some of their cheapest wine. In the alley next to the tavern I took a swig of the disgusting stuff and poured the rest down the front of my clothes. I hurried back to the stable and just before I entered, I started to stagger like an inebriated sot. I purposefully fell against some of them. The irritated soldiers pushed me away. I tripped over my own feet and where I fell, luckily on the soft fodder, I curled up and pretended to go to sleep. The soldiers soon forgot all about me, and resumed their conversation.

My ruse worked and the conversation between the soldiers delivered many interesting facts. They were indeed the bodyguards of the two kings. They mentioned the kings eating in the tavern which confirmed the thought I had that the two cloaked figures were incognito. They mentioned meeting with the remnants of the army, originally around 120 000 strong. They would leave immediately when the kings had had their fill."

Gideon interjected. "Will you be able to lead us to them?"

" I'm sorry my lord, I had to feign sleep till the last of the soldiers left. When I went outside it was dark and I am not sure of the direction they took. I think we should start our search at the village where I last saw them."

"How so?" Gideon remarked.

"When the kings returned they jumped on their horses and rode off. The hostler and his young assistant ran after them swearing and cursing. Apparently they were promised reimbursement for feeding and grooming the horses which they clearly did not receive. If we returned to the stable I'm sure the hostler or his assistant would be freely forthcoming with any information about where the defaulters were headed. Only the kings and two of their aides were on horseback. The others were on foot. I'm sure we will be able to catch-up with them.
There is one more piece of news that should please you, my lord. Your brothers from the other Israelite tribes took considerable spoils from the Midianite soldiers they caught, especially from the kings Zeeb and Oreb. They felt it only right that you should also be rewarded for your part in the enemy's defeat."
The runner lifted his tunic top and undid a large purse that had been strapped around his waste. He handed it to Gideon.
"With all the gold coin in this purse, you will be able to buy food for your men. That will raise their spirits. When we reach the village, some can go to the tavern and buy bread while others interrogate the fellows at the stable."

"You have done well. It could not have been easy running with all that coin weighing you down."
Gideon said to the runner. Then addressing the men of the camp he said.
"Go to your sleeping rolls and prepare, for tomorrow we move out before the sun has risen. We have kings to catch!"
A loud cheer arose from the men.