Chapter 18

Gideon cursed the day he placed the golden ephod in the market square. It brought nothing but trouble. Even after being warned not to treat the golden piece as something mysterious or special, people continued to worship the ephod and touch it, hoping for miraculous healing. It was all too much for its creator. What was he to do? He couldn't take it back home, his wife, or Cia would be hard-pressed to keep the whereabouts of the ephod a secret. He couldn't go through all the performance again of people knocking at his door, wanting to see the ephod.

A plan slowly started to develop in his mind. He would go to the display structure under cover of night, unlock the grated door, remove the ephod and bury it in the graveyard. Surely, no-one would think of looking for it there.

Gideon, thankful that he brought a large sack with him, struggled to remove the ephod from the display housing. He had forgotten how heavy it was. It slipped from his hands and fell to the floor. Instinctively, he looked around to see if anyone heard the noise, even though it was the middle of the night. He manoeuvred the heavy article into the sack. Crouching nearly to the ground, he managed to sling the sack across his back. Gripping the display structure with his free hand, he pulled himself up to a standing position. He took a deep breath, taking hold of his spade and lamp, he staggered to the graveyard.

Gideon dumped the sack containing the ephod on the ground. He searched for a spot where he could dig a hole. He held his lamp up high as he walked between the graves and tombs. Not only that, but he didn't really feel like digging after carrying that heavy load all the way from the market to the cemetery. Passing one of the tombs, Gideon thought of an alternative resting place for his golden ephod. Grabbing a large stone, he smashed the lock on the door of the tomb closest to where he was standing. He pulled with all his might, but the door wouldn't open. He discovered years of wind and storms had piled up sand and dirt against the door. Gideon placed the lamp so he could see. He shovelled the sand and tried the door. This time it moved, creaking on its rusty hinges, but it opened.

Relieved that his plan was working, he dragged the sack into the tomb and placed it in a corner. He closed the door and shovelled the sand back against the door. Grabbing spade and lamp he made his way home. Gideon would never see his golden piece of art again.

--l--

Cia remained seated at the kitchen table after Jotham left. She suddenly felt very lonely. She knew she would not see him again. Andrica and Cia were never really close. Andrica had been blatantly nasty towards Cia when they were younger. Cia only stayed because of Gideon, who always treated her kindly. Now there was another complication. Andrica was slowly losing her mind. It got worse every day. Occasionally, she was just forgetful, other times she was completely disorientated. When Jotham was home, he patiently guided her thoughts and would see that she ate and had a bit of exercise. Cia was not prepared to be nursemaid. She had big decisions to make.

There was something that intrigued her, ever since the night when Jotham hid in the tomb. She decided to investigate that very night. After ensuring that Andrica was asleep, she slipped out the house, and went to the graveyard. Cia found the tomb she was looking for. She struggled with the door, but eventually forced it open. Now for the moment of truth!

On that stressful night when she came to fetch Jotham, Cia had peered over his shoulder when he lit up the tomb with her lamp. He saw only bones. Cia saw something else, a flash of yellow in the lamplight. That picture had stayed with her since that night. Her curiosity mounting hourly.

Cia speculated that the object reflecting the light might be a piece of armour or jewellery. She was about to find out. Making her way across the tomb floor, stepping carefully between the fallen bones, she held the lamp up high. Yes, there it was again, that flash of yellow. She crouched near the object which seemed to be covered with sackcloth. She touched the cloth, hoping to reveal what was underneath. The sudden flash of gold, as the sackcloth disintegrated, gave Cia such a fright, that she landed on her buttocks. What she saw made her gasp with astonishment. She instantly recognised the golden ephod that had disappeared so mysteriously from the market square. Somebody, Gideon she guessed, had probably hid it here many years ago.

Cia was overjoyed at the find. She wasn't comfortable about stealing from the dead, but this was different. She felt as if the ephod partly belonged to her. It was made from the spoils of war. Everyone had suffered, so why shouldn't she have her share! This was the sign she was waiting for, the push, that made up her mind.

Wrapping the ephod in her cloak, and dragging it out of the tomb, she closed the tomb door and dragged the heavy article home. During the next few weeks she chiselled off pieces of the ephod and beat the pieces flat, so no one would recognise where it came from. The pieces, she sold to travelling merchants, who bought the gold from her, for resale in the larger cities. She tried to use as many traders as possible, so they wouldn't become suspicious as to where the gold was coming from. Soon she had sold all the gold and her money-bags were full. She had quite a few.

She had made up her mind. She was leaving Orphrah. She felt sorry for Andrica, but it was now time for the other wives and their children to accept responsibility. The day of her departure, she paid them a visit. She knew that on a certain day of the week, the families, nearly all women, came together. They were all chatting with one another when they heard the knock on the door. Opening the door, they were surprised to see Cia by herself. Cia had, on the odd occasion, brought Andrica to these meetings. Stepping inside, without invitation, Cia addressed the women present.

"I am leaving Orphrah for good. Here is the money Gideon left Andrica. Moreover, here is the key to the house. I have locked Andrica inside as she has the habit of wandering out and not finding her way back again. There is a small amount of food in the pantry, enough for a few days. Don't try to contact me as I will have no fixed address for some time."

Cia spun around and left the house. She was far down the street before the family snapped out of their surprise induced stupor.

Both Jotham and Cia were not heard of again!