Chapter 61

Everyone gasped and chatter commenced. They sped out of the woods, coming down to the field behind the lodge. Romulus was carrying a body dressed in maroon.

"What is the meaning of this?" The witch lowered her axe.

"We believe Bayne is innocent." Romulus said.

"The evidence we have concluded says otherwise." Helio snapped in.

"Not for long." Sirius said.

They reached the bottom of the hill. The pack surrounded them.

The body was pale. The hair was long and light. The suit was maroon. The face was dirty, but still recognizable. It was Helio. Everyone was confused. The living Helio pushed through the crowd. He looked in terror at the sight of himself.

"What? That's not possible! It must be an imposter!"

"I don't think so. Sirius sniffed his body out deep in the woods, and we spent last night digging it up. Something suspicious is going on here." Romulus explained.

"Wolves! Grab him!" Sirius said. The pack didn't have to be told twice. They grabbed Helio and held him down to the ground. The buff men piled onto him.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" The fairy screeched at them.

"Please, just look. We found Helio's body dead in the woods. Looks like he's been there for at least a few days." Romulus explained.

"What are you saying? That the real Helio is dead?" The witch said.

"I don't know. But please, hold off the execution until we find out what is really going on here." Romulus pleaded.

"Take both Helio's inside. I'll get to the bottom of this." The witch commanded. The pack followed her orders.

I lifted Bayne off the ground. Raven joined me. She unlocked the chains that were squeezing the life out of Bayne. He grabbed my hand and stood  up.
His arms were marked up from the chains digging inside his bare skin.

"Erin, I-."

He wasn't even level on his feet for a moment. He collapsed to the ground, grasping his head. He called out in pain.

"Bayne!" I cried, dropping to my knees. Romulus ran out to us.

Quick as a flash, Bayne transformed into a wolf. His clothes shredded off him. He roared. With his teeth, he picked me up and threw me on top of Raven and Romulus. I smacked down on top of them with a hard thunk. We were stacked onto each other like stacking blocks.

I tried to push myself off of them. Bayne was running full speed toward the lodge.

"What the hell is happening?" Raven said.

"Don't know, but we have to stop him before he hurts anyone else." Romulus pushed off the ground. We followed him, running towards the lodge.

Bayne was plowing through the group of men, tossing them around like rag dolls one by one. Ulrich jumped and transformed, as did Dakota. They tried to block him off and knock him down, but Bayne managed to stay up strong. The two men released Helio from their grasps.

"No! He can't get away." Romulus said, he darted after him. My father and Dakota used their full force in attempt to knock Bayne down. It was as if their defenses made him stronger.

Helio attempted to run out from the other side of the lodge. Romulus caught up to him and plunged him into the floor by the door. Romulus grabbed from the stack of logs for the fireplace and smacked Helio hard in the head. His head dropped and he fell unconscious.

The second he was hit, Bayne changed back in mid jump. He collapsed on the ground, landing head first.

I rushed back outside towards him.

"Bayne!" I stumbled down to him, my jeans already caked with grass stains and dirt.

He began to wake up. He held his head.

"What happened?" He said weakly. I held him in attempt to cover him up.

"Someone get me some clothes!" I yelled behind me.

One of the wolves dropped a robe to me. Bayne wrapped himself up in it and tied it tightly around his waist.

"Are you alright?"

"I think so. I don't remember. My head." His eyes were dazed. He appared to be slipping out of a trance.

"Everybody! Inside, now." The witch commanded. No one waited for her to say it twice.

I helped Bayne up and escorted him into the house. He was weak. He stayed collapsed in my arms.  Everyone gathered into the dining hall. Romulus and Sirius tied up the living Helio to a dining chair. The dead Helio was placed onto a wooden table. Ulrich and Dakota came back downstairs, human and dressed. I sat at a table sandwiched between Raven and Bayne. His head was dropped onto my shoulder.

"Someone explain to me what is going on with all of this!" The vampire yelled.

"I think I know. Helio is a vampire. Vampire's can have mind control powers. I believe he unconsentually controlled Bayne into killing Adolpha, attacking Erin, and attacking the rest of the pack when he was captured." Romulus announced.

The pack's voices rumbled.

"Quiet! What proof do you have of this?" The fairy asked Romulus.

"For starters, we found Helio's real body in the woods last night."

"If he is the real Helio, then who is this?" The witch pointed at the unconscious man tied up in the chair.

"I don't know, ma'm. I was hoping you'd tell me." He said.

She approached his body, and with the flicker of her wrist, a white mist appeared. She shot it at the tied up man. It was almost as if it was washing away his disguise.

His eyes flickered open. It wasn't Helio.

Everyone gasped.

"Who the hell are you?"