Chapter 34

Ran's POV

Shinichi had been calling me almost every night, which made me both happy and heart broken, since I could hear he's getting more and more soulless day by day.

That night, Conan-kun was on his phone, I was sure it was Professor Agasa who called, when he dropped his chopsticks off and run outside the house in panic leaving his dinner cold.

He never came back after that, which was quite understandable at some point, since I knew Conan-kun was Shinichi. He tends to leave me in the dark over everything, but sadly, I was getting used to it by now.

Out of consideration, I took a visit to Professor Agasa's house the next day only to find out that the situation was giving me a deeper heartbreak. Conan-kun was alone inside the laboratory, holding a piece of paper which he refused to show me.

Ai-kun suddenly had to go somewhere that night, according to Professor Agasa, a family matter was said to be the reason why. But I knew it was a made up story, so I wouldn't make a fuss about it, which once again made me feel left out.

I knew what Ai-kun meant to him, I knew it all along even though I desperately tried to ignore the fact and bury them in the back of my head. But it hurts me more, so I decided to just let go. But before that, I need to hear everything from him, the truth, the reason, and moreover, I want him to break my heart in person.

This slow realization was a torture. To understand his feeling towards somebody else more than he did himself was never a pleasant experience. He's always been oblivious. And I was always the one who sensed. Unfair.

So here I was, again, Professor's house at an hour before dinner time to face him and try to confront whatever this was. To put my heart at ease. To be selfish just this one. Let me choose selfishness just once, please forgive me.

"Ran-kun?" The front door opened to a confused face. "Can I help you with something?"

"Good evening, professor, I'm here for dinner if you wouldn't mind having me."

He blinked once, twice, lost at words, then he eyed groceries in my hand. "Ah, sure, Ran-kun. You even bring groceries? I'm sorry for the troubles, come inside, please."

I went inside the house and somehow was able to feel an absence o warm. So this house really felt different without Ai-chan. "I don't see Conan-kun anywhere," I said while strolling towards the kitchen, put the groceries at the counter top. "I'm gonna prepare our dinner, professor, I believe both of you didn't eat well these days."

Still startled, Professor Agasa gave me a nod as an answer.

"I'm sorry I came without warning, I intend to surprise you with a heartwarming dinner, but seeing you deeply in shock now I feel bad."

"Ah, no, I'm sorry it's not like that Ran-kun. Just, so much has been going on lately." He paused for a moment, rubbing the bridge of his nose and shook his head. "Of course I'm happy for having you here," he pull his glasses off, eyes towards me, sincere. "It's bad that Conan-kun left not too long ago, along with Heiji, but I could call him to have dinner here together. You don't mind adding one portion for Heiji, right?"

"Heiji is here? So Kazuha...?"

"No, he's here alone, let me call them. Please make yourself at home."

So Heiji was one of them, of course, they're best friends, this shouldn't have been shocking anymore. I exhaled deeply, pushed away the thought of being left alone, and started to prepare the dinner. I decided to serve a large portion of Karaage, ignoring the fact that Ai-kun would despise this, but Professor Agasa could keep his healthy diet for another day, he would be happy with my cooking anyway. Like I said, I would be selfish just for one night.