𝙿𝚊𝚛𝚝 1

Part 1

Dedicated to Talkmarie11 for being the first to vote and add to her reading list 👩‍❤️‍💋‍👨
Thanks babe

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•

Nnenna's POV

Unlike how most people react to their first day in the higher institution, it wasn't same for me. I was so excited and elated when I found out that I had gained admission into University of Lagos, AKA Unilag, to study Medical Laboratory science. It was officially added as one of the best days of my life.

Only to be told today by my mom that I wouldn't be attending the main campus located at University Road, Akoka. Instead, I'd be going to the one here in Surulere. The college of medicine. I was happy that at least I got accepted into the medical field, a lot of people don't get that.

"Do you have a pen?" I heard mom from the living room.

I nodded and waved the purple pen at her.

"And your books? You should have at least two?"

"Mom!" I wailed in despair, "I'll just buy two once we arrive at the school gate."

She nodded in disapproval, "No, what if you don't have time for that. Buy them here so once you're there, you'll concentrate while in class."

She threw a five-hundred naira note on the couch I kept my bag.

"Go to Mama Temi's shop and buy two carton-cover notebooks."

"Okay Ma," I immediately took the money and headed out.

When I walked, I walked with pride, I was no longer the Jambite waiting on admission. I was a bonafide student of the University of Lagos, College of medicine campus. I took out my phone from the pocket of my black jeans and took a couple of selfies as I walked. Yes, mother finally let go of her hold on the phone and let me have it after my JAMB results and WASSCE results were out. Thankfully, I aced my results. Now I have earned exclusive rights to the phone.

I have only spoken to few of my classmates back in secondary school mostly on Facebook and WhatsApp. I stumbled upon David's Facebook page a while back but scrolled further. I did not feel ready to talk to him though I knew it was childish of me to keep avoiding him.

After I took my time to look through and select the notebooks of my choice, I quickly made my way back home. The time right now said 10:25 am which would not tell good of me as a student if I entered the lecture block late.

I've been to the college of medicine campus twice but today was my first time going there as a fresher in the school. I've been to the main campus only once with my mom. When I set my eyes on the school gate, it was love at first sight. I literally loved the setting and environment of the school. The buildings, sculptures, trees and signposts really grasped my attention. I began to imagine myself walking down the roads and sidewalks, even through the gardens of the school grounds.

However, the reality that has slapped me in the face was that I wouldn't actually be walking on the main campus school grounds but on another campus ground. Though, I don't mind. School is school as long as I was concerned.

After mom dropped me off by the lecture C block, in a taxi, she waved goodbye and left. I sighed softly in relieve before walking into the hall.

The hall was rowdy, noisy and crowded when I walked in. I refused to look up towards the board because I was scared of meeting gazes with any lecturer, therefore, I walked to the nearest empty space on the long bench located by the door and made myself comfortable. After I pulled my backbag on the desk, I decided to look at the people around me.