Part 15

15
°•°•°•°•°•°
NNENNA'S POV

I ignore Nnabuihe's calls even after I reach the hotel and begin my shift. This would be my first night working at the bar and club area and I'm excited so far. Nothing much happens over there except standing and waiting on the customers' orders.

There's loud music, a lot of dancing and so much eating. There's meat, wines and vegetables of all sorts. I decided at this point that I liked the club-bar area better. No, rephrase that, I liked the leftovers better. On a scale of one to ten, at least six plates had a reasonable portion of food remaining.

The part I hated, you could easily guess is the swirling and twisting on the pole by half-naked ladies. It repulsed me to watch them snaking on poles in nothing but bra and bumshorts. But I endured that, for the sake of all the food I'd have to gather later. By 10:30 pm to almost 11 pm the bar had started clearing out. The crowd started dispersing.

I and a few other coworkers started clearing out the tables of dishes and bottles. There was one more table left but the customer did not seem to be in a hurry to leave. I hesitated to see if any other coworker would go ahead to clear that table but I found them all clustered in the counter area.

Exhaling wearily then making my way towards the man seated at the left end of the area, seemed to be the longest seven seconds of my day. To make matters worse, he was staring directly at me. I pretended to not care and instead masked my fears behind a stoic expression.

"Excuse me, young lady," he called after me as soon as I picked up the tray. Just as I knew he would. I swallowed a sigh and turned back to look at him.

"Can I know your name?" he requested.

'Telling you my name is not in my job description, sir,' I wanted to respond, instead I told him —coldly for effect.

"That's a good name. So, can I have your number. You know so we can talk and get to know each other more?" he requested.

I knew why actually he wanted my number but I didn't want to give him. And I couldn't respond in the way I wanted to for fear of getting into trouble with the management.

"I'm sorry, but I don't have phone for now sir." I averted directly looking at him.

His sluggish sigh and thoughtful gaze at me under the disco lights told me he wasn't buying my excuse but I wasn't in the mood to oblige him anyways.

"Okay, no problem. I will see you some other time, then?"

I just nodded in response, already irritated by the way his eyes were undressing me.
After he left, I hurriedly walked to the convenience room to check myself again. Although the black trouser I was wearing tonight hugged my waist and buttocks, it wasn't revealing anything but at this point, I hated the way it showed my contours.

I hurried back to finish my work for tonight so I can sign out. Luckily, the club-bar area usually closed at 12 midnight, so any staff who worked the night shift there could decide to go home. Unlike the lodging and dining sector of the hotel which worked round the clock.

I met my coworkers chipping and exchanging gists about tonight. Two of the girls who'd danced the pole tonight were bragging about leaving with almost ten to twenty thousand. I was stunned to learn that it was even possible. Here I was, struggling my way every night only to make twenty-five thousand naira after thirty days excluding the shifts. And girls my age were making same amount in just one night.

What more when they perform more than a night?

I was pained that my hard work and diligence wasn't paying much. I needed much more than what I earn. Eventually, I left the club with a heavy heart. I stayed in the staff quarters until 5 am before boarding a taxi to my hostel.