Part 16

16

NNENNA'S POV

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•

It's been two weeks now since I lost my phone at the ATM machine stand and honestly life couldn't have been harder.

My academics especially suffered drastically during this time. Since I could hardly keep up with my lectures and side job, I missed most of the classes and a couple of tests. It pained me to slack in my studies like this. At night, whenever I recalled that my life used to be better than this and that I wouldn't have to go through this pain if my parents were still alive, it brought hot tears to my eyes.

“Girl, na A oo! I see the result just now.” Helen was saying on phone as she walked into the room.

We caught each other's gaze but looked away immediately, as usual. Ever since that uneventful surprise at the hotel, we haven't exchanged words amicably.
As I listened in on her conversation with whomever that was on the other line, I realized that she was telling that person that she'd scored an A in a course even though she was rarely present in that class.

It broke my heart to hear that. I'd seen my result for last semester, truth be told it was not pleasant. I didn't make up to 3.5 GP and to think I was doing everything I could to make life in the university easier for me. It felt so wrong and at this moment, I wanted to give up. I couldn't keep up with the classes in the morning especially if I worked the night shift the previous day.

I thought of the day Annabel —one of my coworkers, ended her shift with the sum of thirty thousand naira. She'd been tipped by two rich customers that night. It had me wondering why such customers never see me. Was I truly that invisible or is it something I'm missing out on?

“My dear, your money never come but you fit manage dis one?” Mrs, the landlady of our previous house said.

I had gone back to ask for the money as it seemed she wasn't willing to call me. And just as I suspected, another occupant had paid for the place.

I counted the money. Just fifteen thousand naira out of seventy-three thousand naira. This money would hardly go anywhere except for feeding and transportation and I was already out of money.

“But ma, I need the money for school,” I started to explain.

She let out an exasperated sigh. “Nnem, did I not try? After all, no be me say make una comot pack my house. That was your decision so I'm not obliged to pay you the complete balance. Wetin I dey owe you now na fifteen thousand, finish!”

I simply stared at her for some time without saying anything else until she asked me to leave her shop.

On my way back, I swore I wouldn't shed a tear but it was difficult considering the load on my shoulders. I had to get another smartphone soon, my hostel rent would expire by next year and it was just two months to the end of this year.
Nnaemeka was kind enough to lend his Nokia phone for me to use temporarily and as much as I appreciated the gesture, I would prefer a smartphone more.

I wanted to save up the money to pay for my part of the rent next year as Helen forewarned, but it was impossible seeing I had food and utility expenses to take care of. So, before I finished the money at hand, I bought myself perfumes, body lotion, laundry materials and a few haircare products.

When I came across Ifeoma from the SU fellowship, she asked after me and why my number was hardly reachable. I began narrating the predicament I'd found myself in.

“Another way is that you can negotiate with somebody in your department to help you out with assignments and tests if possible.” Ifeoma, one of the choristers advised after I narrated a part of my problems.