𝙿𝚊𝚛𝚝 7

𝙿𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚜𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚗

°•°•°•°•°•°•°
Nnenna's POV

Taking heed to Adunni's advise, I told my mother about the girl who needed a roommate. Mother was skeptical at first but seeing as her search was not yielding any fruit, she gave in to my request.
I called the number the next morning, and she told us that we were free to come check out the room, any day.

We decided to go today, being Saturday.
The hostel was located few kilometers away from the school, and very easy to locate. I calculated the distance in my head. Since it took us five minutes to get to the hostel from the time we boarded another taxi at the school junction, going on foot would have taken us about fifteen minutes—plus or minus. As soon as I came to realization with that fact, I liked the hostel more, because of the proximity.

Mom was more interested in the sleeping arrangements. The girl (Helen was her name) already has a sleeping foam, a reading table and chair, with a long mirror on the wall. I was praying really hard that mom does not find any big error with this room, because I wanted to start staying in a hostel as soon as possible, plus, I had developed a liking to this room.

“I saw a GP tank outside, so you students can fetch water within the compound, right?” My mother asked.
To think that I was too nervous to meet a potential roommate that I did not notice the GP tank mother spoke about.

“Yes, we fetch water inside the compound, we don't go out to get water because we have steady electricity. You don't have to worry, even the toilet and shower is still in good condition.” Helen said.

Mother nodded in acceptance.

“We have your number, we'll get in touch with you,” she said.

My heart sank hearing those words. My mom was not the predictable kind of person. She might sound like she has accepted the room, only to change her mind at the last minute.  I wanted her to ask the girl for her account number, that will solidify my space here.

“Okay, ma. No problem,” Helen sounded disappointed too but there was nothing she could do than wait.

I picked up my yellow satchel, and headed out the door after mom.
Helen waved us goodbye as we were going out. She had a forlorn expression on her face.
.
.
“Do you like the place?” mom said to me when we were in a bus headed home.

“Yes, Ma. It's very comfortable considering that the major needs of the students are met.” I replied.

“You're right. Call her when we get home, to send her account number, I'll make the transfer so you can move in tomorrow.”

“Okay. Thank you so much, Mummy.”

“What you should do is pay attention to your studies, never lose focus of why you are here. Let your studies be your most priority throughout your stay here because it's easy to get distracted in this kind of world. Be mindful of the people you move about with as they have a lot of influence on you too. Lastly, never forget to be prayerful, it works.” she admonished.

I nodded, suddenly determined to make the best of the time I have got in Unilag.

As soon as we arrived home, I went straight to my room and began packing the essential things required during my stay in the hostel.
Mom did not buy a lot, thankfully, she did not buy the sleeping foam she talked about last week. Seeing as Helen had one, I would simply have to share with her in the meantime.

I packed all my decent clothes and nighties in two luggage, a couple of slippers, a brown leather sandal and black Nike shoes were contained in my large backpack together with the toiletries. I put my reading lamp, my notebooks, and few novels into the bag as well. My possessions were sizeable so I did not have to pack a lot.