𝙿𝚊𝚛𝚝 3

Part 3

•°•°•°•°•°•
Nnenna's POV

After two complete weeks since I started in the college of medicine, a rumour started going about that the 100 medical/health science students will be relocated to the main campus at Akoka.
Reason was that; newer and better equipment have been deposited there and since the 100level students are still new to the system of education, it was assumed that we would readily adapt to things over there.

For days I wasn't sure about how I felt after hearing about it. I always wanted to go to the campus at Akoka from the beginning but since it wasn't where I started from, I focused my attention elsewhere. I couldn't imagine moving to another campus. That would be like beginning the university all over again.

I wouldn't get to see the people I've made friends with, even if I get to see them again, it certainly wasn't going to be the same. I hoped for days that it would end up being a false news and nothing more but the moment one of our mathematics lecturers mentioned the possibility, I knew I had to tell my mother.

Trust me, she wasn't pleased when she heard about it. Considering what the whole moving thing entailed. Plus, I was surely going to be living in a hostel or lodge cause it's not like I would be going there and back to Surulere everyday.

As curious a person as I have always been, I decided to bring up the topic again as Adunni and I were headed to the bookstore.

"So, any recent news about the year ones moving to Akoka?" I said.

"I asked my uncle about it, he said that we're really going to move over there." she answered.

"Na wa oo,"

"Na wa no be small one oo, my sister."

She fed me more information about how the moving would be. We would only transfer to the other campus after the matriculation ceremony, as the event has been stated to hold at the other campus in two weeks time.

We left for Bio 101 class as soon as we bought the textbooks for the theoritical and practical course. There, Ade-short for Badesola, the current course rep for MLS students, was making an announcement. We arrived halfway in, so I didn't grab most of the instructions. But Funmisola filled me in.

Later in the day, after classes. I was at home going through the sentences I jotted down during the day and trying to form a note, just as the philosophy lecturer advised. When I came across foreign words, I tried to browse through their meanings. It was during this time that Stephanie and Tochi returned from school. Thankfully, they know their way now, I won't have to be picking them from school anymore.

They sorted themselves out and left me to do my work, which was a good thing. I browsed, noted and compiled until I felt that I had created a comprehensive note. As usual, I had a short rest when I was done until it was time to begin my evening chores.
Before mother retired for the night, I told her about the change that was about taking place-the change of plans for year one medical/health students.

Surely, she made not-so-happy comments about the whole thing. She asked when the move would be happening and I told her.

"Okay, let's pray and watch now before then. If money comes in I'll get you some things you can begin with."

"Okay ma," I replied with enthusiasm.

Finally, my dreams of living in a hostel will be actualized. Tomorrow, I'll ask Adunni more questions about the living arrangements.

"My dad and I already checked out the hostels over there. Girl! If you see..." she sighed dreamily but continued with her gist.

We were headed to the library, where she claimed we would access network to browse on some things related to the biology assignment we were given.

"They have about four hostels, three-storey buildings each that are located inside the school compound. But it's very expensive oo, one hundred and twenty thousand naira a room, for two occupants."

"Wow, that's really expensive oo," I said.

I was really bothered on hearing that. How on earth would my mother raise such amount of money. Hearing this alone, weakened my resolve to stay in a hostel. I would rather go from home to school everyday than cause such expenses for my only parent, what about my siblings, their school fees and our feeding as well. Everything comes from my mother and at this point, I feel like I'm milking the woman dry.

"My sister oo, but thankfully we met a guy who showed us another lodge outside the school environment. It's a hundred and fifty thousand but the room is well-spaced out and a single student can occupy a room alone, depending if he or she can afford the money or can share the rent with another roommate." she informed.

"So, which one did you pay for exactly?" the inquisitive me wanted to know.

"The lodge outside school naa before do I look like I want to deal with the stress and rules associated with living inside the school hostel. I can't oo, it'll just be like living in boarding school all over again." she admitted.

I never went to a boarding school so I couldn't associate with how the entire thing made her feel. I asked more questions on hostel accomodation and transportation as well, and she answered to the best of her knowledge.

Mother made some inquires on her own end. She told me that if the money doesn't come in before my matriculation, then I would have to transport to and from Akoka for the time being.
That was okay by me, seeing as how the expenses might weigh my mom down.

A week before the matriculation, mother bought a new dress, some underwears and some set of utensils. She also bought the biggest ecolag bag size. Deep down I knew she got them for me, it had me overwhelmed with the feeling of gratitude.

'I would make you proud, mother,' was the promise I made within myself.

Later that night, I took a picture of my red gown. It was a long gown that got to my ankles but had a narrow silt which reached all the way above my right knee. An off-shoulder with flannel arms and a silver broch attached in the front.

I sent the picture to Adunni. She was more than excited to repost it on her status with the tag; #matricthingsloading.

Finally, I was going to be a bonafide student of Unilag. I can't wait to start the higher institution at Akoka, it's going to be such a ride.

•°•°•°•°•°•

It's really going to be an adventure from here on out.

Who can't wait to meet David and most of our male characters?

What challenges do you think await Nnenna at Akoka?

Thank you so much for reading. Please try to vote and comment as well, it goes a long way to help the book.
Do check out my other books as well, especially 𝐃𝐫𝐚𝐦𝐚 𝐁𝐞𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐅𝐢𝐧𝐚𝐥𝐬.'
You won't regret doing so 😘

You can follow me on the following accounts to see updates on my book;

Da_Writer's World➖Facebook page
Amyirechi ➖Instagram
Amyirechi ➖Okadabooks
Amyirechi ➖Twitter
DM to get WhatsApp number if you desire 😉

Thanks ❤✍