𝙿𝚊𝚛𝚝 5

𝙿𝚊𝚛𝚝 5

Daphne's POV

Today was the D-Day. The day I finally get to be officially inaugurated into the higher institution.

How I have longed for this day from the moment I dropped my pen, after the WASSCE and NECO examinations. It was indeed a thrilling moment for me.

My parents were definitely going to grace the occasion. Mr Esan; Bella's dad, was coming too. He has really been of great help and a wonderful companion to my mom. Though, I must admit that after everything I put him through, he should not even glance in my direction any longer, but the reverse has been the case.

He showered his care and love upon me even more. I suspected it was due to the fact that Bella and her mum had left Nigeria for Cameroon, he has taken me to be his daughter in these times. Well, I could not complain as long as I was basking in the love. The love of having two dads.
At first, I used to be scared that I lost a father, now I have gained two actually.

My phone started ringing beside me. I laid down on my back on my own bed, with the phone positioned beside me.

From the ringing tone, I knew that mom was the person calling. I selected a different musical tone for her number so that I was made aware, whenever she called.

“Hello, Mammi,”

“How are you my darling?” she said.

“I'm fine ma, how about you?”

“I'm okay my daughter. I called to wish you a successful matriculation ceremony today, and to wish you well as you officially begin your journey in the university.”

“Thank you, mama. I hope you are coming today?” I asked, just to confirm.

“Uhm...my dear, I'm not so sure about that. I have the shift at work this...”

“Then take an excuse, this isn't fair mom. I told some of my friends that you would be coming.”

“Really?” she sounded surprised, like she did not believe me.

“Yes, so you have to. Please try to come mummy, matriculation is only once in a lifetime.” I whined.

“Oh my daughter, I'll see what I can do.” she stated.

We spoke a while on other matters before she disconnected the call.

Even as I got my things ready for the ceremony, my mind was not at rest. I worried that mother would not make it to my matriculation ceremony anymore. The distance coming from Surulere to Akoka was not a simple one. I did not want them to get discouraged by that.

This matriculation was a ceremony I would celebrate only once in my academic life, I hoped it was as important to my parents as it was to me. I was contemplating on the dress I would wear to the ceremony when my roommate emerged from the bathroom.

“You're finally awake. Good morning,” she said.

“Good morning to you too,” I replied.

She smiled softly—her signature smile by the way.

Aduke  has been my roommate for the past few weeks. She joined two days after I settled in here, and I was really glad to have her as a roommate. She was also in 100level, but studying English and Literary studies. She was dark in complexion with the height of an athlete, gap-toothed, and eyes which gleamed and shone with hope whenever she smiled.

She was truly warm to be around. She was also very jovial and heaven-minded. She was a Christian to the core, I have never met any youth her age that is so proud of her faith. Another major reason I appreciated her presence was that, she was good at cooking and baking. Just like me, she loved cleanliness, and I was glad that I got someone who would not pose as a problem to my peace.