Part 14

14

•°•°•°•°•°•

NNENNA'S POV

Rubbing my eyes vigorously using the back of my palms, I blinked to ascertain that I was not imagining things.

What was Helen doing here, of all places?

"Helen?" I started; mouth agape.

"Uh..." she hesitated for a short while, and I saw the expression in her eyes, she was confused on whether to pretend that she doesn't know me or just tell the truth about why she was half-naked in a hotel room.

"What are you doing here?" I said eventually.

"Business..." she replied.

I quirked a brow at that. Until gradually it dawned on me.

Was Helen into this?

"What kind of business exactly?" I asked, since I couldn't bring myself to say the words.

She stared anxiously around the room. With the sounds coming from the bathroom, I knew that someone was having a bath.

Did she not want whoever it was to know she was talking to someone?

"Let's just talk about this later, okay?"she pleaded.

I remembered Joy's warning to mind my business so I didn't query her further. But while I changed the sheets, my mind kept raising questions that I had no answers to.

Was this how Helen raised the money she squandered like they were nothing?

How did she do something like this yet move around like she lives a normal life?

All my life I've been made to believe that was a despicable way of living. Women don't trade their bodies for money to just any man. It had to be her husband. I couldn't believe I've been living and dining with such a person.

As soon as I was done with the sheets, the shower in the bathroom stopped running. A few seconds later, a man stepped out.

"Good evening, sir" I said to the man, curbing my detest.

"Ehn, have you finished?" He ordered; his voice void of empathy.

"Yes, sir..." I responded, taking that as my cue to leave.

I passed one last glance at Helen. She still had a pleading expression on her face but her gaze couldn't stand mine.

I gathered the sheets in a basket and left the room; heartbroken and angry at the unexpected revelation.

So, Helen was a call-girl?

Just thinking about the fact, had chills running down my back. For the rest of the night as I did my job I could hardly coordinate myself. It was as if my hands were working on their own accord. Even when I had the chance to lie down at about 2:15am; it was difficult to sleep without imagining the things she was doing in that room.

'And what about HIV?' Was the thought that inevitably had me on my feet the next morning.
Thankfully, there were no more jobs for me to take on so I snuck into one of the rooms and had my shower, discreetly.

Since I came with the clothes I'll be going to school with, I simply changed into them before I left the hotel. I didn't want to go back to the hostel for fear of bumping into her. I wasn't ready to face her yet let alone hear the truth.

By the time I got to school, I realized that I was too early for the first lecture. Checking the messages on my Whatsapp further confirmed my doubts that the first class had been postponed. It was after this I noticed that I was hungry.