𝙿𝚊𝚛𝚝 4

𝙿𝚊𝚛𝚝 4.

David's POV

I was sprawled on the couch, discussing few things about matriculation, with my younger brother Ikenna. Our knowledge on it wasn't enough but we talked because we needed to have something to talk about. The tension hovering around the house these days was enough to raise our blood levels.

It was becoming even harder and more difficult to keep the truth of my identity from Ikenna and dad. Mom was having a much difficult time, because she always had to face dad and lie to his face.
Yes, dad definitely was aware that I was not his by blood, but he has no idea that I have met and even been with my real father. 

The new installed doorbell chimed, notifying us of the presence of someone at the door.

“Go and check who the person is,” I instructed Ikenna.

He reluctantly obliged, mumbling as he walked to the door.

“Welcome, mom,” I heard him say, before mom came into the sitting room where we sat.

“Good evening, mom” I greeted, and adjusted from my position on the red-leather sofa, for her to sit.

She was carrying a lot of big black polythenes. No doubt, the things she bought for me to start school with. We've already made the down payment for a room in one of the hostels, thanks to my real father.

We've also gone shopping for basic utensils and toiletries. A medium-sized sleeping foam. A blue coat for my practical classes and some new jeans and polos. I also got myself three pairs of Nike and Adidas shoes, my favourite brands.

“Here,” she passed one the bags to me. “Extra towels, boxer-briefs and sweater for you. I don't want you to come back complaining for a cold.”

“Do I ever complain of cold, ehh Mammi?” I muttered, but she offered no respond.

Whether she heard what I said or not, she didn't react any differently.
I took the bag from her and headed to my room, so I could pack them into their appopriate places.

I called and told Ikenna to bring my phone to me.

“Ah! Low battery,” I muttered to myself when I saw that the battery life was at twelve percent.
Electricity power failed to come up since this morning and I exhausted my phone today. I just remembered that I had to call the hostel president to inform him that I was coming for the collection of my room key.

The last time I was there, he wasn't around. Payment verification was made by the vice president, after which he told us that the landlord and president were the only ones in possession of the keys.

Finally, tomorrow I would officially leave this house for the hostel. I was elated as equally as I was terrified of the change. But, I just couldn't wait.
.
.
.

“Do you know what I love most about this hostel?” a girl by name, Theodora, asked me.

‘No, but I have a feeling you would tell me.’ I said in my mind.

Theodora was plump, tall and fair in complexion. Since the time I met her, she's been putting on nerd glasses. Another very important fact I observed about her was that, she talked a lot. She was always willing to divulge information as long as someone was willing to listen.

“That there's borehole here. Some other hostels, the boreholes erected there don't function anymore. As I am now ehh, I cannot see myself carrying buckets to fetch water somewhere else.”

“I'm pretty sure that only happens in hostels of very cheap and affordable price...” I started, only for her to cut me short.

“No ooh! The hostel my cousin stays at, the borehole spoilt for sometime now. The landlord promised to have it fixed as soon as possible, until today, my cousin goes out to get water.” she concluded.