The Proposal (Alternate) (Angst)

The Survey Corps returned from their successful mission to reclaim Wall Maria and Shiganshina district. They were met with large amounts of cheers and support but the soldiers only looked on with blank stares.

The Survey Corps had left with one hundred soldiers among their ranks. However, they returned with only nine people left alive. These soldiers were Eren Jaeger, Mikasa Ackerman, Armin Arlert, Jean Kirstein, Sasha Braus, Connie Springer, Floch Forster, Hange Zöe, and Levi Ackerman. Everyone else had been killed either by the Colossal Titan's explosion or the Beast Titan's barrage of boulders. No one had gone out in any way that could be considered peaceful.

None of the soldiers could be seen as happy even if they'd accomplished such an important task of retaking humanity's lost territory. They'd even found the truth of their world and the Titans in Eren's basement. But no one could be happy. They'd lost too many lives to celebrate yet.

However one soldier had been greatly affected by the outcome of the battle, more so than he let on to the others.

Captain Levi always put on a tough exterior because he had been raised to not show too much emotion. Over his years of being in the Survey Corps, he'd learned to bottle up his emotions even more and thus he came off as emotionless and stoic. A lot of people thought he didn't have any human emotion at all because of this.

But Levi was suffering immensely after the mission. He always hated losing his comrades but this time not only did he lose normal comrades, but he also had lost the one he'd fallen in love with, Erwin Smith.

Erwin Smith was the commander of the Survey Corps and Captain Levi was really close with him. The two met in the underground and Levi had vowed to kill the man. However after Levi suffered the loss of two of his closest friends, he made the choice to follow Erwin and trust him. Because of this, Levi and Erwin's relationship grew over time and they became really close.

The two admitted their feelings for each other and began dating roughly three years after Levi joined the scouts. They spent as much time as they could together and eventually, Erwin made the decision to take their relationship to the next level in a way.

A few nights before the Survey Corps left for Shiganshina, Erwin took Levi to his office. He'd made the raven's favorite tea and decided to have a private dinner with the Captain. They had a nice relaxing evening together. Towards the end of the night, Erwin had pulled out a box and opened it to reveal two matching gold rings inside. He slipped one onto his right ring finger and then the other onto Levi's right ring finger.

"This is a symbol of a promise. The promise that once we return from Shiganshina, we will finally get married."

Levi was in tears because he was so happy with what Erwin had said. He wore the ring proudly and didn't shy away from questions when he was asked. He was too excited at the prospect that he would finally be marrying the man he loved.

But the world had decided to take absolutely everything away from Levi yet again. Because of the bleak situation the Survey Corps had been put in during the fight in Shiganshina, Erwin decided to lead a suicide charge to distract the Beast Titan so Levi had the chance to take it down. Erwin had been hit by one of the boulders the Titan had thrown and had died due to the severity of his injuries. Levi was absolutely crushed.

The return to headquarters after coming back from the mission was quiet and sullen all around. Levi looked down at his hands on the reigns of his horse and saw the ring twinkle from the sunlight. He felt his soul shatter and his heart drop. He was returning home without the one he loved.

Everyone returned to the headquarters building and put their horses in the stable before Hange gathered everyone in the courtyard.

"Okay everyone...we will talk the mission over later but for now it would be good for all of us to get some rest. You're all dismissed."