Getting the Dough

"Ungh..." Mikah sat up to stretch. "What a night. That was the weirdest dream I had yet."

Ezra glances at them for a moment before returning to reading their book. "It wasn't a dream. Take a look at your surroundings."

Mikah blinked. They groggily swing their head around, observing the inside of the room. It was nothing like their bedroom in New Jersey. They hastily threw the bedsheets to the floor and obtained their phone that had a cracked screen. Prior to this morning, Mikah and Ezra had agreed to sharing a room together in a form of defense.

"Surely the murderer can't get us if we stick together. Then you'd or I'd be the witness. Perfect plan, right?" Mikah suggested.

They give them a blank stare. "Not a bad idea, but what do you do if the murderer's plan is to assassinate the two of us?"

"Uh..."

Despite Ezra's claim, Mikah still insisted them on amalgamating themselves with them. Ezra, who was visibly irritated by their pestering, eventually gave in.

Mikah leaned over the bed and basically hovered over their friend. "So, what do we do now? Like, we witnessed two people die last night and there's a crook on the loose."

"What do you mean? It should be evident to someone like you. We obviously should inspect last night's crime scene." Ezra glared at them.

They pouted. "But that's so boring! Let's fight that murderer head on!

"No, that is the thing I want to do the least. Not to mention, that is the most idiotic thing I've heard yet." Their friend shook their head before putting down their book. "Let's go investigate."

"Whaddya think of the guys here? Like, I'm not attracted to anyone or want to start a relationship, but I know what you're into." Mikah made a mischievous grin that stretched from ear to ear. Very annoyed, Ezra rolled their eyes. Ezra was not fond of the small talk Mikah was trying to make during their trip to the elevator.

Mikah cheered. "But hey, look at Dan. He's super kind, caring, and generous. Your type!"

"You technically just gave me three synonyms for nice." Ezra said as they dragged Mikah to the elevator. "If I had to describe him, he is indeed allocentric, but he is kind of sensitive in a way. He's very bold and stubborn. Dan's also..."

"Cute? Handsome?" Mikah snickered.

Ezra's eyes averted from their direction. "I'll admit he's objectively attractive, but you know I like William."

"Heh, knew you had the hots for him," Ezra glared at Mikah for completely dodging their statement, "More importantly, is there anyone you suspect to be the murderer? Wait, don't tell me. Are-Are you the killer?" Mikah took a step back from Ezra.

"Don't get so tense, I'm clearly not. If I was the murderer, the first person I'd slaughter you be you, Mikah." The moment they said that, Mikah stood at the other side of the elevator. "I don't mean it like that. I think you're a good friend of mine, so I obviously don't hate you. I'm saying I should kill you first if I was the culprit because it would make the contestants less suspicious of me. It'd be the perfect crime, wouldn't it? And here, I don't even have to worry about leaving a single trace of deoxyribonucleic acid behind."

Mikah felt their muscles tense. "Dude, you're scarin' me."

"Even if I was the murderer, I wouldn't kill anyone. I have ethics, you know." Ezra stated. "But... I can trust you. I can trust you that you won't betray me, right?"

"Of course you can! What makes you say that?" Mikah queried.

They slightly smiled. "Good. That's makes me happy. Then here. Let me show you this."