Inevitable

It was almost as if the world was enveloped by a vast cloud of pure shadow. Mikah felt Ezra snuggled up next to them; they were shuddering in terror.

"Hey, don't worry, my dude. I got this." Mikah was ready to turn on their phone. However, it only showed a empty battery picture before shutting off. "Oops, it's not charged."

Ezra didn't seem to pay attention. Instead, they were incoherently mumbling words to themselves, which Mikah assumed were profanities. They would get a flashlight from the bedroom upstairs, but they didn't want to leave Ezra alone and vulnerable to the murderer. Perhaps they were both open to onslaught, however, Mikah still believes that it was safer to stick in pairs. They tried to ease Ezra by embracing them, but it seemed to have no effect.

Mikah attempted to calm them by pointing to the spider descending on it's string of silk. "Look, there's a cute l'il arachnid above us. You see that?"

"Damnit Mikah, you know I have arachnophobia." Ezra groaned. They stood up and darted away, causing Mikah to chase after them. Ezra never told me that!

It was terrific that they ran off into the dark abyss. Mikah could sense the droplets of sweat run down their already sweaty palms. The feeling disgusted them, yet they proceeded to make a search for their dear friend. They called. "Ezra, where are you?! It's dangerous to go alone!"

Mikah galloped around the floor. They knew Ezra couldn't have gone upstairs because they didn't hear the loud drone of the elevator when it's entrance shifted open, so, furthermore, Ezra had to be close.

It was quite labyrinthine to gain decent vision in this situation. The one with the beanie checked under the coffee table before heading to the kitchen. If only the power was on, then I'd be able to make a source of light with the refrigerator. Actually, if the power was on, then I'd be able to see clearly. Power equals light bulb functions.

Before they departed, they noticed there was a flashlight on the kitchen counter to their dismay. They takes the machine into their inventory and turns it on. The light radiating from the thing paved a path of brightness for them. Mikah waved it around, hoping to see the one they were looking for. Their sneakers made no noise when they came in contact with the mahogany floorboards, which Mikah noted is strange.

They directed the spotlight to the bathroom. Hoping no one was using the restroom at the time, Mikah slammed the door open and barged in. There they saw, a person wearing a navy blue shirt and jet black hair. They were shivering and whimpering in the corner opposite to the sink. Mikah tapped them on the shoulder to grab their attention. Slowly, they turned their head toward his direction.

"Sh, don't worry. I'm not going hurt'cha." Mikah whispered in a calm voice. Ezra inhaled and exhaled before to stop panicking.

"I apologize for running off like that. It must've been troublesome for you to look for me. I probably worried you a lot." Ezra said, in a apologetic tone.

 Mikah grinned. "Hell yeah, you made me worry a lot, but I don't mind. I'll do anything for a good friend of mine."

Ezra smiled, but it quickly faded. Their eyes widened in terror, and they didn't utter a word. Mikah asked them what was the matter, but they only stared. They weren't staring at their friend, but rather, they were gazing past them. Mikah swerved around to see what was lurking behind. In pure fright, they threw the flashlight they wielded at the unknown figure's face. They retaliated and collapsed to the floor, holding their head in pain.

"Eugh, ya don't have to be so preemptive, you know." They grunted.

Mikah gasped. "Annie? You're the murderer?!"