Deity of Victory

Charlotte pushed aside the coffee table that was hurled at her. Once she positioned herself upward, she departed from the storage closet, placing her hand on the walls for support. There was nothing to refrain her from leaving this place alive, for someone had smashed the door open. Charlotte gave it a long stare, her eyes focused on the billows and oak trees that rippled because of the gentle breeze. Instantaneously, the building began to shake. She witnessed a block of concrete descend and collide with the ground and shattering into multiple fragments. If she did not flee now, she would end up dead. However, she ignored the pavement to freedom in front of her, and trotted to the elevator. But first, she slid on her signature, vermilion high heels. She knew exactly where she was heading, and she knew exactly what she was going to do there. As the terminus was traveling skyward, she gave into the urge to chuckle. Her shoulders twitched as she shook with laughter.

There's no more point in keeping up this facade if the curtain's already shut. Charlotte let the tears she has been holding in. No one was watching. This was all behind the scenes. The makeup was smeared, and the scratch that Mikah inflicted upon her was revealed.

She ran a hand through her hair and grumbled. Everything you worked for is gone. This is officially your final performance. It's almost bittersweet.

Everything was beginning to become ruin. The elevator had not made its classic ring when the rider had arrived at their destination, and the speaker was ceaselessly playing obstreperous static. After Charlotte had alighted the machine, the rope could no longer bear the elevator. The thread broke, and it quickly fell along with the one it carried. She gazed at one of the shards of glass on the floor to check her appearance. She adjusted her hair bun and smirked. This is my final moments alive. I may as well look presentable.

Like she expected, the man she was waiting to talk to was by the window about to enter his helicopter. She strolled up to him and placed herself on the window sill. Thiago's eyes flickered with intrigue after he noticed that Charlotte had chose to come all the way up here despite the fact that the building was slowly being dismantled. He leaned closer to her and asked. "You know, I saw your friends depart just now. You could've exited."

"What's the point?" Charlotte tilted her head up and pressed her lips together. "The government would soon find out about what I did here. I would be fired and executed. Thiago, the reason I made the contract with you was because I wanted to continue my career. Now that I've failed the game, I truly lost everything. Oh, and if I did that, I would be breaking the regulations of this game, wouldn't I?"

"Well, I suppose I should've anticipated that you'd say that." Thiago shoved his hands into his breast pocket and took out a lollipop. "Want one?"

"No, thank you." She declined.

"Sir, don't you think we should go now? The building's about to-"

"Don't make me come over there and shove this lollipop up your ass, Riley. I'm having a very important discussion with my client, so please be quiet." Thiago snapped.

Riley murmured. "Sorry, sir."

His lips curled into a smile "Actually, it's perfect that you're here. I had some things to say to you."

"You're performance was sublime!" He gave Charlotte a round of applause. "Usually, most of my clients were able to kill everyone, but that was because the other participants were not that... intelligent. However, the people you were up against were competent. If you weren't that skilled, you probably wouldn't have lasted long."

"Speaking of those other contestants, weren't they supposed to get the prize mentioned on the poster?" Charlotte queried.

He shrugged. "I'll just break into their house at night and sneak it under their pillow."

"Anyway, it's such a shame that I won't be seeing anymore of your work." Thiago deeply frowned. "I guess this is where we part. I wouldn't want to loiter in this soon to be pile of concrete. It was nice working with you, Charlotte."

"Mhm, I could say the same." She hummed.

Thiago hopped into the interior of the machine, and Riley drove off into the stratosphere. Charlotte curled her lips in frustration as she watched them depart.

'it's such a shame'

Those words Thiago uttered had made her bitter. She despised letting someone down, but then she began to question if she would be satisfied if she exceeded his expectations. There was little time to answer that query, for the building made one last rumble before it completely demolished.