Name Engraved in Sin

"INDAH, GET BACK HERE! IT'S DANGEROUS!" Someone demanded. She listened to the desperate pounding against the wall.

Indah chose not to listen and continued to get nearer to the sound at the other side.

"I suppose I can allow this once. I'm surprised you would do this. Say, didn't you participate because you wanted the prize? Why give up now?" The voice reverberated through the halls.

"I did. But now that I'm in this situation, there are people I value more than my dreams. I don't want to be alone again."

Indah couldn't see in the dark. She blindly swung her fists in hopes of hitting who she presumed to be the creator of this game.

BANG!

Her body was now limp. She was beginning to grow numb from being shot. Her head was spinning and her vision grew hazy.

Please survive... for the ones that have fallen. That is my final plea.

As her consciousness was lapsing, her ears listened to a faint mumbling. "Ugh, that was not premeditated. No game hasn't been this disarranged before. Eh, the majority of all of them will die anyway, so I suppose I'll let this slide. They're too dimwitted to find out the culprit. I should go get the payment from the safe. I'll take care of the body later."

Mikah curled into a ball and placed their hands over their ears, yet they could still hear the arguing. Ezra and Charlotte ruthlessly screamed at each other continuously.

"We need open the wall somehow! Indah could die right now!" Ezra ranted.

Charlotte bared her teeth. She managed to kept that calm tone she always used when she spoke, yet it sounded like she could snap at any moment and start bashing the other's head in. "Ezra, there are only four of us left. We don't need more people to die now. It's already too late."

"We're going in!" Ezra stomped to the door that was the entrance to the chamber. Charlotte held them back, and Ezra made a surprisingly high pitched screech, one that Mikah had never heard before.

She censured. "You are being idiotic!"

Mikah stood up and trudged to the elevator. I don't want to listen to their bickering anymore. Why can't they just calm down and hear each other out? The one in the beanie stared at the selection of buttons in front of them. They mindlessly clicked the button without thinking and stepped inside. Once they reached their destination, they dragged themselves to the opposite side of the hall. They slid down the concrete wall and peered out the window. There was a single, lonely star hanging in the night sky. Mikah sighed and looked down. Someone was climbing up the ladder that Dan placed there, making Mikah scream and throw the bag they carried at the person from being startled.

"Jeez! You shouldn't be throwing stuff at me while I'm climbing a ladder. I could've fallen, y'know." Mikah was now able to see whom it was now that they were closer to the light emitting from the building. They realized the person who was entering the household was Dan.

Their face was entirely red. After a few seconds, they bowed and shouted. "Sorry, my bad! Um, you aren't hurt, right?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. I'll get your bag later, by the way." Dan glanced downward at the concrete below.

"Thanks, dude. By the way, why are you here anyway? Don't you have to look over Henry? I'm pretty sure it's his bedtime or something." They question.

"Henry's at a friend's house. He wanted to hang with Jake tonight." He answered in a chipper mood. "I already finished all of the chores I needed to get done today, so I'm free. Plus, there's no work today."