Chapter 20

"Love makes you seem attractive."

I can sense the truth in that statement. The short light blue dress that clings to my body has never seemed so good_ I feel pretty and confident. I decided to minimize my makeup, just by applying a light pink lip gloss and tie my hair in a high pony. Honestly, I never thought I'd look so casual on my first date. But I feel like I can be comfortable around Xavier.

I move to the living room, and I see Xavier taped on his phone. I clear my throat to get his attention. His eyes turn towards me and take my appearance slowly. I love the way he always takes his time and expresses his appreciation so beautifully. His eyes talk for him. "You look amazing, Hailey."

"Thank you," I answer timidly. I don't even know why I'm acting shy and cozy. Just a minute ago, in front of the mirror, I felt fearless.

Xavier stands up and comes to me. My eyes remain stuck to the ground. Soon, I feel his hand tilting my chin upwards. "Are you ready?" He whispers, to which I nod. By taking my hand in his, we move, like in fairy tales_ everything feels so unreal and mystical.

The car rides with Xavier have always been quiet, but something was different today. I can feel the difference in the atmosphere; it's filled with affection and happiness.

Throughout the journey, we both keep stealing glances at each other after a minute or two. Finally, after a good period, the car stops.

"We are here," Xavier announces. Getting out the first thing my eyes notice is the fine restaurant in front of me_ it screams 'expensive'. To be honest, it's not my style, but the fact that Xavier reserved a place here means a lot to me.

Without saying a word, Xavier puts his hand on my waist and starts moving. The amount of joy this simple act of affection brings to my heart cannot be explained by words. We both reach a table on the side of the window.

Saying that this place seems expensive will be a euphemism_ Screams abundance. I was hoping Xavier will take my chair out, but he doesn't. Perhaps I should work on my expectations.

"It's a nice place." I compliment.

"It is one of the most expensive places here, I hope you like it." He responds proudly, gaining a sarcastic laugh from me.

"Xavier, I would have liked it even if it were a small restaurant. I'm not a materialist person. But still, thank you so much, I loved the effort you put into it." I say with humility.

He doesn't answer but keeps looking at me through his perplexed green eyes.

"I want to explore all of you Hailey."

A wave of emotions passes through me _ nervousness, fear, emotion, and affection. How is it possible that a person can control you through their sentences?

"I still don't understand why all of a sudden you became so interested in me." He smiles softly and then moves forward, propping on his elbow," Have you seen yourself?" He asks, huskily.

Why is he so seductive? God help me, please.

My cheeks start to feel hot, I clear my throat, hoping to change the subject, " Shouldn't we order?" I ask, looking anywhere but at him. "Sure, why not." He gives an amused laugh.

Every moment spent with him is a beatitude. I can't find the time. I notice that every sentence is about me. And to be honest, it makes me feel special and necessary. I love the way he's interested in me. Throughout the discussion, he asks questions about me, my likes, dislikes, family, etc. I have never been a chatterer, but I can talk to him all day. All I need is for him to hear me and look at me with the expression he's giving right now. I can't understand how to describe it, but I feel like I'm important to him.

When our order comes, I notice him taking some medicine before the meal. I wanted to ask, but decide to remain silent. Imploring something personal doesn't seem unethical to me." Noticing my confused look, he replies, "I'm hypertensive."

"Oh," I reply bewildered. He looks at me, trying to understand my reaction. This is a piece of news to me.

"Don't you have any questions?" He asks.

"We have plenty of time, let's keep this story for another day," I answer by smiling, looking right into his eyes, promising another time. He smiles eagerly.

Time passes and finally, we reach my house. Although I'll see him tomorrow, it seems to me that these few hours compare to years. What pains me, even more, is that I can't express my feelings openly. I want him to be the first to express how he feels about me. I can see in his eyes the affection he feels towards me.

We both get out of the car as we stop in front of my house. I head towards him taking a step closer and taking his hand in mine. His eyes move toward my hand, and his jaw clenches. I don't even know how I got the courage to do it.

Looking in his eyes, I let him see what I feel, " Xavier thanks a lot for all the effort you've made for me today, no one has ever done it for me."

"You deserve better than this, much better." He whispers, looking into my eyes. He leans until our forehead touches and then begins to breathe deeply as if he controlled himself.

"Hailey, I'm taking you on another date tomorrow." He declares, with his eyes closed.

"Okay."

Getting away from me, he gives me a small smile and then shakes his head as if remembering something. "Good night, I'll see you tomorrow."

"Good night, Hailey." He responds and moves into the car.

I enter the house with my heart exploding with an immense amount of happiness. If I'd known, being in love felt so good, I would have done it sooner.