Chapter 5

"Hailey never waste your heart in taming the  player. Give it to a guy, who doesn't plays the game." This is what Lily used to divulge, whenever I catechized her about why she never dated.

Same is the case when it comes to Xavier Evans. There is no ambiguity in the fact_ He is  surpassingly rapturous and ignites a bizarre kind of spark within me. But I also cannot not deny the morose truth about him being a cold-hearted player. 

So, this is why here, I am sitting with a poker-face, still clammed up on how should I reply on Xavier's offer for a dance. Competing for Miss World seems an easy task, as compared to giving an answer for this question. 

"Umm Hailey? Xavier asked you a question." Micheal states, gulping_his expressions an amalgam of quail and boorishness.

"I know." I  reciprocate within a second, my poker-face still on and my eyes now on Xavier_who clenches his jaw on my response.

"Then why aren't you replying Hailey?" Xavier inquires fully prurient, boring his obdurate, despotic eyes on me.  His thick British accent can indubitably make a person's knees go week. However this is me_'Hailey Parker'_ we are taking about. 

Yes! I am different. Not because of my morale, but because my circumstances.

"I think  you won't be gratified by my answer". I answer to Xavier, at which his eyes dilates for a moment as if not anticipating this answer and then he grapples his jaw. 

Samatha who was on his lap, now was glossed over in a loutish way, bringing a hubristic smirk on my face.

Haha

Hailey=1

Samatha=o

What I didn't grasp  until now was Xavier's riled expressions.

"Do you think an impoverished and necessitous person like you should have the audacity to reprobate?" Xavier's utters_his voice low and deadly. This insult came as a slap on my face_unexpected.

" That wasn't necessary Xavier." Ajax exclaims with anger. While Landon stands up,clenches his fingers a little to tightly, as if controlling his umbrage, making his knuckles turn white.

 I stand up and place a hand on Landon's shoulder, gesturing him to stay quiet and not make a scene. But be credulous; being magnanimous isn't in my blood.  

I take a step further, and stand before hand to Xavier. 

"And do you think a worthless jerk like you have the guts to get a kick out of my company." I counter back to his insult, emphasizing on the word 'my'.

My retaliation did bring a reaction in Xavier_he stands up, his eyes blazing with fury.

"How dare you? I can destroy you in a bat of an eye." He seethes in a baleful calm manner.

"Enough! I swear man, one more word and I won't resist." It was Landon, who now with his hand on my wrist pulls me back; a challenging and noxious expression taking his countenance.

"Yeah Xavier, think before you speak. Hailey isn't a typical girl, she deserves respect and we won't tolerate this kind of mien. " Brandon's joins the conversation with a hard glare, and Micheal nods in response. However, Xavier didn't seem to pay heed to any of these comments. His attention was on me; his irate gaze burning holes on my face.

"What a girl you are_ keeping up this innocent feigning, while having all your boy-toys on your service". Xavier taunts, to which my eyes go wide. 

This was the first time someone corrupted my character. If it had been a normal conversation, I would have a lot of comebacks. But this, was a solely unheralded and different kind of colloquy_one that I never witnessed. So, my body was still in  narcosis and my actions halt. I couldn't form words to reply to this hideous statement. 

" Xavier, apologize to Hailey now! Or else we will have some serious problems." Ajax buts in,  now glaring at Xavier.

This voice seemed to have an affect on Xavier, as he removes his gaze from me and faces Ajax, a befuddled expression on his face now.

"Don't tell me you are taking her side." Xavier lets out a humorless laugh.

"Yes, I am." Ajax conforms, now gazing at him firmly.

"No fucking way"_ Xavier barks_"you will support this low-life , over your brother. I cannot believe. The fuck. What does this attention seeker have?"

This is when I lose all my control and do what I should have done a lot earlier_I slap Xavier. I slap him hard.

Though my fist hurts, but the slap was savage. Everyone, even the people surrounding us go quiet. No more yelling, making out or dancing. Just the sound of the music seems to be audible. 

My eyes still on Xavier, taking in his aghast expression; his fingers now on the sore area of his face. But, I could feel the wide, expanded eyes and gazes around me. Deciding to give the audience some more melodrama, I continue.

"You maybe a Greek god for the girls around you, and you may have conquered the world. But Xavier Evans you are nothing for me. Yes, I was physically attracted to you, but that doesn't means I will obliterate my morels. No,  I won't. So, I will appreciate if you do not take my name or yarn filth about me with that abhorred mouth of yours." I elucidate with a bucolic expression, and turn to make my way out,  without hearing anymore crap,.

I won't lie. Xavier was the first person, who caught my eye. So, hearing those things did bring me a lot of pain_they lacerated me. But on the bright side, this situation did prove to be propitious for me. Now I think, I will be more determined and  focus on my intent.

 As they say, "Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors."

Sorry for the short chapter.

But there was some drama finally. (winks)

Maheen Fatima