Chapter 24

Complete- this is what I always wanted to feel. However, every moment in my life made me realize that I am incomplete. At first, I used to think that if I'll keep my grades up and be socially acceptable, I will achieve the feeling of completeness. But I was wrong.

 Even a few days ago, when I confessed my feelings to Xavier, I felt like this was it- now I could have a chance to experience how it felt to be complete. But it never came, maybe because I was yearning to hear those words back. However, I will not allow myself to be hopeless-I never have. The day will come soon.

Yawning, I sit upon my bed. I grab my phone from the side table and start checking the notifications. I had a voice note from Landon and a text from Xavier. I can not help but start feeling goosebumps. I recall how Landon and I had a mini argument yesterday, and we did not talk after that. I feel like there is a heavyweight on my shoulders and, maybe I should have listened to him and not be so freaking selfish. He has always been there for me.

I play the voice note:

"Hey Cupcake, I am not sorry for yesterday, because I was right and my decision was final. So, please be a good friend and try to understand and support me like I always have. And I will pick you up for school. Remember, I am sad. Bye, love you."

A smile makes way on my face as I feel entirely blessed to have a best friend like Landon in my life. He always goes out of the way for me, even if I am the wrong one. Believe me, if I am spoiled, it's because of him.

Ignoring my erratic beating of heart, I open Xavier's text message.

"Wear red today beautiful, I have a big surprise for you."

I look at the text again after rubbing my eyes for the 10th time.

Xavier has a surprise for me!

Xavier has a freaking surprise for me!

I start pacing in my room constantly, feeling a rush of adrenaline in my body. I don't know why Xavier does this to me- he intimidates me. He makes me feel self-conscience, something that no one was able to do me before.

Okay! Hailey, you can do this.

I hurry towards the closet and start shuffling through my outfits. Finally, after an eternity, I take out two red dresses, a red floral t-shirt which I would probably pair up with jeans, and a short frock. My eyes flicker between both of them. One part of me wants to stay in my comfort zone and choose the t-shirt, but another part of me wants to be daring today.

I want to make today special. I want to dress up for Xavier and, I want to see his breath hitching as it does whenever he locks his eyes with mine. I love the feeling which erupts within me whenever his eyes travel down the length of me and his jaws clench and unclench with every moment. So, I decided to go with the short frock.

I push away my thoughts and decide to get ready as I only had 30 mins now- Landon will soon be here. I decide to dead straight my hair and part it from the center. After a laborious amount of effort, I finally take a look at myself. I feel pleased, happy, and beautiful- the red dress fits me perfectly, while my light make-up and hair compliment it wholly.

As on cue, my phone rings, and I take it, knowing that it would be Landon.

"Hey, are you here?", I ask while shoving the books into my bag.

"I'll be there in five, get ready.". His voice comes from the other side.

"Okay, see you then." I beam a little too excitedly.

"Okay." He answers seeming unsure at my tone.

After ending the call, and taking my bag, I jog towards the kitchen, humming a song to myself.