Chapter 3

"SA...SANS? SANS!" Papyrus was about two now, Sans about seven. This seven year old was determined to take care of this child. Since the child talked in a Papyrus font, Sans called him Papyrus. "yeah. good job, bro. that's my name!" Papyrus beamed. "SANS! SANS! SANS!" As time went on, Sans continued to teach Papyrus to walk, tall, all that basic stuff. "BROTHER! BROTHER!" Papyrus seemed incredibly fond of the word. Sans called Papyrus his brother because he could only assume that Papyrus was also created by Gaster.

Sans took Papyrus with him everywhere. People always gave him weird glances, asking him where his parents were and stuff, but he always ignored all these. When he wasn't taking care of Papyrus, he was trying to figure out how to work that machine. He desperately wanted to find a way to get Gaster back. He needed help taking care of Papyrus, and he desperately missed Gaster. Occasionally people down in the underground would give them a hard time, but Sans was always good at avoiding conflicts. He could tell that the monsters out there were not worth his time. One time a group of people jumped up behind him and attacked while he was out getting food, but he wasn't seriously harmed. He just lost a tooth after a monster punched him in the mouth, but nothing else happened. Since he was originally designed to live in a lab his whole life, his hp was incredibly low, so if anything else were to happen, he could easily be killed.

Years and years passed. Eventually, Sans realized he couldn't do it. According to his notes, there was no way to bring Gaster back, and the machine was incredibly unstable. If something were to go wrong, it could send someone to who knows where. It was hopeless. Fragments of him were split across the timelines, with no way to retrieve them. Eventually, Sans was able to get a job so he could provide for his brother. They bought a house in Snowdin, and he locked the machine away. No point in trying anymore, he couldn't afford to end up lost in the universe because of that machine. He needed to be here for Papyrus.