Chapter 16

Sans and Papyrus stood there, looking at the mess they just made. "paps, i'm sorry. i'm so so sorry." Sans said. Papyrus looked empty. He walked over to Sans. Now Papyrus was about a foot taller than him. He grew really fast. He replied. "NO. THEY DESERVED IT. YOU WERE RIGHT. WE CAN'T CHANGE THE WORLD. I SEE THAT NOW." Papyrus coldly walked home. Sans stood there, watching his little brother, once so full of hope, walk away.

Papyrus marched all the way to Undyne's house in waterfall. It was late, but he knocked on her door. She opened it, looking exhausted. "Ugh, you again? Why are you here?" She asked.

"I'VE HAD A CHANGE OF HEART."

Papyrus was finally let into the royal guard. He explained to Captain Undyne how he had changed and how he was no longer going to be "weak." She knew of what he was capable of now, since she had heard about the incident at Grillby's. She was a little to scared to say no to him, since he seemed edgier than the last time they talked. 

Papyrus was let into the royal guard, and quickly rose up in ranks. Even though he was only 15, after a few short months, he was already promoted to Second in the Royal Guard, just below Captain Undyne herself. She actually really admired his strength and work ethic, plus he was very good at setting up puzzles, which could be useful when it comes to capturing a human. However, with a title like Second in the Guard, comes lots of enemies, and people down here were not afraid to get violent.

"Hey, uh, Papyrus." Undyne started one day. He looked over. "YES CAPTAIN?" Undyne looked nervous. "I need to talk to you. It's about your brother."

Papyrus looked confused. "MY BROTHER?" She nodded. "Yeah. Since you're Second in the Guard, you know a lot of people will want to attack you, right?" Papyrus nodded. "I'M NOT WORRIED ABOUT THAT. I CAN TAKE THEM, AND THEY ALL KNOW IT." Undyne nodded. "Yeah, I know, but to get back at you, they might try to attack your brother, since they know you care about him." Papyrus's eyes went wide. He remembered last time when that group of monsters attacked them. Undyne continued. "I know he doesn't have much hp. It wouldn't take a lot to kill him." Papyrus looked down. "WHY ARE YOU SAYING THIS?" Undyne sighed.

"Look, everyone knows you got a soft spot for him, which is dangerous. If you want to keep him safe, you can't show any love or concern for him in public, otherwise people will know you care and they'll kill him to get back at you." Papyrus looked shocked. "WHAT? SO I CAN'T LOVE MY BROTHER?" Undyne looked down. "You can still love him, you just can't show it. You have to make your relationship seem less like family and more like business. If you want to keep him around, you have to make sacrifices." Papyrus sighed. "ALRIGHT."

Papyrus slowly made his way home. "SANS, WE NEED TO TALK."