Chapter 10

Everything was a blur. All Papyrus could really see was color. Orange light, bones flying, dust in the air. Suddenly, everything became more clear. Papyrus stood up to see what he had done. To his horror, he saw a large animal skull floating above him. His eyes went wide. The skull then disappeared. Papyrus looked down at his hands, then slowly looked around. He could see dust floating in the air. Bones pinning torn clothing against the wall. "W-WHAT HAVE I DONE?" The 13 year old asked himself.

Earlier that night, Sans was at his station, when he got a bad feeling inside. "something's wrong, i know it." Sans told himself. He didn't know what this feeling was, but he felt like something horrible was about to happen. Suddenly, he saw a bright orange light go off in the distance. He jerked up. Something was happening. Quickly, he got up and used a shortcut to get to where the bright light went off.

Sans arrived to see Papyrus, turned away. He saw a large Gaster Blaster floating over his little brother's head, before it disappeared. He looked around. Did Papyrus do this? There was dust floating in the air. Papyrus slowly turned around, when suddenly his eyes met Sans.

Horror filled both the brothers' eyes. They just stood there, staring at each other, when Papyrus broke the silence. "BROTHER, I...I DON'T KNOW WHAT....I-I'M SORRY." Sans slowly approached his younger brother. Papyrus stepped back. "NO, DON'T COME ANY CLOSER. I...I DON'T WANT TO HURT YOU." Sans's eyes suddenly shifted from shocked to pained. "paps, you're not going to hurt me."

Papyrus broke down. He dropped to his knees. "OH, GOD I KILLED THEM. I'M A MURDERER." Sans walked closer. He could see a crack in Papyrus's skull, along with a snapped arm. "paps...what happened?" Papyrus tried speaking, but his sobs made anything he said impossible to understand. Sans softly hugged his younger bro. "let's go home and get you healed. then we can talk." Papyrus slowly nodded, letting his brother guide him home.

Sans was able to heal Papyrus's arm, but the crack in his skull was difficult. He was able to bring Papyrus's health back, but his skull would be scarred. Papyrus continued to look down, refusing to make eye contact with Sans. Images of dust flashing through his mind.

"so, you gonna tell me what happened?" Sans asked. Papyrus continued to look down, his voice dark, lacking the enthusiasm it usually had. "I KILLED THEM." Sans looked down. "can you give me a few more details?" Papyrus began to quietly sob. "THE DETAILS DON'T MATTER. I KILLED THEM. THEY ARE DEAD BECAUSE OF ME. I HAVE LV NOW." Sans pulled him into a hug. "down here, monsters kill people all the time paps. please, just tell me what happened." Papyrus continued to sob. "I HATE THAT IT'S OKAY TO KILL PEOPLE DOWN HERE. I HATE THAT IT'S KILL OR BE KILLED. I HATE IT." Sans sighed. "i know. i hate it too, but that's just how the world is down here, and no matter how hard we try, there's nothin we can do to change it. sometimes, we have to adapt to our world in order to survive."

Sans never did find out exactly what happened. Papyrus refused to tell him. Papyrus wasn't really himself after that. He seemed more, afraid of his power. He became more distant.

The next morning, Captain Undyne heard that something went down in Snowdin. She assumed it was some random monster fight. Those happened all to often. Monsters down here were always trying to fight and kill each other. That's just how life was, but according to reports, the power level of one of the monsters involved in the fight was something different. Captain Undyne made her way over to the scene.

"Wow, whoever was here last night did some serious damage. Heh. I don't know many powerful monsters who actually ever come out to Snowdin, I wonder who did this." She told herself as she investigated the scene. It didn't really matter, since murders happened all the time down here, but she really wanted to know who did this. Whoever it was, they seemed really strong.