Chapter 4

Years past. Papyrus grew. He was now 11 years old. His older brother, Sans, was 16. Papyrus was a bright ball of sunshine, which Sans loved. Papyrus was so kind and naive compared to everyone else in the underground. Sans was able to quickly learn how to handle people, but Papyrus never really got the hang of it. 

Sans always told Papyrus to be himself. He never wanted Papyrus to change. Papyrus was the light in his life, the only thing that really kept him going. The world was to cruel. He always told himself that Papyrus was to good for this world. Sans did his best to keep Papyrus close to him when they were out in public, since other monsters weren't very nice, and Papyrus refused to defend himself. Papyrus always said he never wanted to hurt anyone, ever, so Sans always made sure he was there to protect his brother and keep him safe.

"alright bro, i need to go to work. remember, don't leave the house. it isn't safe out there." Sans called out to Papyrus as he was leaving. Sans had multiple jobs, including being a sentry, selling hotdogs, and a secret job he wasn't really allowed to talk about. Papyrus was in his room reading a book about puzzles. Papyrus wasn't as clever as Sans, but he did seem to have a knack for puzzle solving and stuff. "OKAY BROTHER! HAVE A GREAT DAY AT WORK!" Papyrus called out. His voice was small and a little squeaky. At this point in time, Papyrus was only slightly shorter than Sans. Sans had always teased him about growing to fast.

Papyrus was always warned not to leave the house without Sans, but staying inside all day was so boring. Papyrus looked outside. The snow was falling. Papyrus suddenly got an idea. "HEY, I BET SANS WOULD BE SURPRISED IF I BUILT TWO SNOWMEN THAT LOOK JUST LIKE US! I CAN BUILD THEM RIGHT IN FROM OF THE HOUSE SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEAVE!" Papyrus got up, and ran outside. He really wanted to do something with his spare time, so he was excited. He hoped the snowmen would make his brother happy.

As Papyrus sat outside, building his snow Sans and snow Papyrus, a few teenage snowdrakes walked by. They called out to him, "Hey loser, where's your big brother? I thought you always needed him around to protect you, cause you're so weak! Haha!" Papyrus looked down. "just ignore them. they don't know what they're talking about, paps." Sans's voice played in Papyrus's head. Another snowdrake laughed. "ha, he's probably gonna spend his whole life hiding away, waiting for his big bro to come and protect him. what a waste of space." Papyrus suddenly stood up. "STOP IT! I AM NOT A WASTE OF SPACE. SOMEDAY I WILL BE SOMEONE REALLY IMPORTANT!" The snowdrakes laughed. "Ha! Weak people like you never go anywhere in life. I'd be surprised if you even survived long enough to become anything. The only reason you're still alive is because your brother is so protective of you." Papyrus looked down. "THAT'S NOT TRUE."

The snowdrakes walked away, laughing. Papyrus looked down at his half made snowmen. He knocked them over and decided to go back inside. "I'M NOT WEAK." He told himself. He sat down. "SOMEDAY I'LL BE REALLY IMPORTANT. EVERYONE WILL KNOW OF THE GREAT PAPYRUS! EVERYONE WILL LOVE ME SOMEDAY!" Papyrus looked out his window, to see a royal guardsman walking past. The royal guard usually patrolled this area, keeping an eye out for humans. Papyrus's eyes suddenly lit up. "WHAT IF I JOINED THE ROYAL GUARD! THEN EVERYONE WILL RESPECT ME! NO ONE WILL MAKE FUN OF ME AND EVERYONE WILL WANT TO BE MY FRIEND! AND THEN, MAYBE SOMEDAY I WILL CAPTURE A HUMAN! THEN I WILL BE THE REASON THE BARRIER GETS BROKEN AND I'LL BE THE MOST IMPORTANT MONSTER EVER!" Papyrus jumped up, super excited.

When Sans got home, he saw Papyrus beaming. "hi paps. what are you so happy about?" Sans asked, as he took a sip of some mustard. Papyrus excitedly replied, "I WANT TO JOIN THE ROYAL GUARD!" Sans immediately spit the mustard out. "what??"