4

Kay aga-aga pa, nasira na ang araw ko. If most people who are away from their parents like it when they receive a call from them, that's not the case with me. The more we interact, the more our relationship gets strained.

"Gazella, your dad wants to know if your allowance will suffice. Do we have to increase it?" Just like Cinderella, I do have a stepmother as well.

Though I grew up with her as my mom, she was never really a mother to me. She obviously preferred her daughter. And so did my father.

But then, I can't blame them. I'm a product of infidelity after all.

"I'm doing fine here. Thanks for asking," I couldn't help but be sarcastic. Just like all the other times, we'd only engage in conversation if it has something to do with money.

Ito ang nakasanayan ko mula noon kaya hindi na ito bago. Malaki ang pasasalamat ko dahil hindi nila ako pinabayaan at sinusustentuhan nila ang mga pangangailangan ko. Pero minsan, hindi ko rin mapigilang mapaisip kung ganoon ba talaga kahirap na kamustahin man lang ako?

My stepmom sighed on the other line. I'm pretty sure that dad was somewhere near her because if he wasn't, she probably would've nagged at me and dropped the call.

"That's nice to hear that you're doing well," aniya, halatang napipilitan. "Your sister wants to talk to you."

Bago pa ako makapagsalita, ang nakakairitang boses na ng kapatid ang siyang narinig ko.

"Galaxy! How are you? Are you doing well? Did you meet new friends? Did you stock your favorite yogurts? I'm sure there are more brands there—"

"Gemini," I cut her off. "First, I told you to stop calling me Galaxy. Yes, I'm doing good but now that you called, I'm taking it back."

I never liked my sister. Everyone's attention were on her and nothing was left for me. I had a miserable childhood because of her because as long as she's in the picture, I was always the least prioritize.

"I... uh... I'm sorry..." she apologized with quavering voice. I heard her mom's voice trying to calm her down. And like what I expected, I received an earful of nagging.

I wasn't in the mood the whole day. I did my school works seriously and didn't even bother in engaging in our usual chikka session. Olivia and Sasha noticed it and I'm glad that they didn't pry.

I prefer not to say anything when I'm in a sour mood. It's better that I'm silent than drag other people to my issues and lash out on them. I am aware of my tendencies so I really try my best to control myself.

The three of us were at the cafeteria, eating snacks before we head to our apartment. May kaniya-kaniya kaming mga lakad noong mga nakaraang araw kaya hindi kami magkasamang umuuwi.

Two cups of Greek yogurts appeared in front of me. I stared at the owners of the hands and they gave me a cheeky smile.

"Eat up, young lady," ani Sasha at binuksan pa ang yogurt para sa akin. "Your aura is so strong that we, too, couldn't seem to smile."

"Sorry," I said apologetically. I didn't know that my mood affected theirs. "I didn't mean to do so..."

Olivia waved her hand dismissively before prompting me to eat. They distracted me with their chitchat and when I finished the yogurts, I was in a better state.

I felt myself smiling. And when the two saw it, they let out sighs of relief. I smiled apologetically again but they just messed with my hair and started another topic.

Kahit may sasakyan kaming mga dala, pinili naming maglakad para makapagkuwentuhan. We shared to each other what we had been doing in the previous week so when I told them that I couldn't have dinner with them, they understood.