4: Daughter of Light

Lloyd, Kai, Cole, Jay, and Zane all look at me. “Seashore?” Cole asks.

         “I don’t see any land.” Jay jokes.

         I roll my eyes, “No. Father calls me seashore.”

         “Why?” Kai questions me.

         “I washed up on shore when I was 16.”

         “That’s impossible.” Brother tells me. “How is it possible?”

         “I honestly don’t know.” Then I turn and head to the bridge.

         Once I enter Nay slides a scroll across the table. It’s wrinkled, the ink is splotchy in some places, and the corners are ripped and eaten. “Oh my… this is and old scroll.” I say wistfully. “Letta!” I command and glasses appear on the table.

         “Reading glasses?” Misako wonders. I hand them to her and she puts them on and gasps, “Wow the letters are so clear!”

         “Not letters. Symbols.” I say as she hands the glasses back and I put them on. “This language is hard to read and the fact that the ink is faded doesn’t help. But I think this” I point to a delicate and swirly symbol “means daughter. This one” (a small and simple symbol) “definitely means light, because it looks like a sun. And I do believe this” (I touch a symbol that looks like it is falling apart) “means that something important is lost. Hum…” (I think as I skim over the scroll. My eyes fall on a symbol that is thick and curly.) “Yes. Now this is a symbol that mostly all warriors know. It means strength and courage, it is carved onto armor, and weapons. Believed to help us in battle. Now from looking at the prophecy and piecing together what I know. I do believe it means: something great has been lost, but a daughter of light will bring new strength and courage.” I look up at the amazed faces of my friends.

         “Come it’s late, we never know what will hit us tomorrow. Maybe if we sleep on this it will be clear in the morning.” Father tells us. Then Misako gathers up her scrolls and heads to her room. Nya puts the ship into hover. Then we all file out of the bridge and break off to our rooms.

         I still really could use a good punching bag to get rid of my frustration. I unbuckle my belt and quiver, setting them down on top of a chest in my room. Hearing the door open I turn and see Lloyd leaning his shoulder against the door frame with his arms crossed. Oh darn it! Why do you have to be so cute when you’ll be the death of me if I love you! I think.

         “May I come in?” He asks.