16: Goose chase

When the light fades away Kai, Jay Cole, and Zane run out of the trees and Lloyd lay passed out on the beach, I stumble over to him and kneel across from his mother. She is stroking his hair, and no one dares to even breathe.

        With a gasp Lloyd woke. “What happened? Did I win?” He asked as he pulls himself into a sitting position.

        Trying to rub my eyes dry with my sleeve, I give up and lean forward and gave him a soft kiss to the lips. Kai, Cole, and Jay stared with shook and envy. Lloyd’s only reply was, “I love you.” Making me blush.

        “And I you.” I say.

        “Can you heal this?” Lloyd asks gesturing to his foot.

    I shake my head. “I’m sorry. I dont have enough magic to even do half of a  bruise healing spell.”

~Sometime later~

I don’t know how long we sat there on the beach. Kai is skipping rocks on the water. I am sitting by my brother on the beach, on Zane’s other side are Jay and Cole. Father is binding Lloyd’s broken foot, with Misako fussing over her son. Sensei stands by us looking wistfully over the water at the black cloud forming in the direction of Ninjago.

            “Well I guess we can look for the daughter of light now.” Jay pips up with a false smile.

            “We already did.” Lloyd mumbles as he hops over on his good foot. Father is supporting him as he keeps his bad foot of the ground.

            “Wait what?” Jay asks

            “Leray is the Daughter of Light.” Kai says.

            “I am?” My eyes widen.

            “Trust me.” Lloyd says.

            “Sensei please tell us there’s a lesson or a word of wisdom you have for us to learn.” Cole begs.

            “I’m afraid I don’t.” Sensei Wu said with a sigh.

            “We’ll if Sensei doesn’t then I do.” Lloyd says, we look at him, he turns around and faces the forest behind us. “Before I met you guys I was nothing but trouble. You took me in, showed me the importance of being brave, the importance of being strong.” On the last few words he thumps his chest with his fist. “And most importantly being… good.” on the last word he placed his broken foot on the ground. He gasps and winces in pain. He turns to face us. “When this battle first began, when the first Spinjitzu master fought the Over Lord. When his back was up against the wall and he knew that it was all over did he quite?” he had started to hop on his good foot toured us. “No… He found another way to the fight going.” He reached Cole and Jay and pulls them to their feet. “He passed his elemental powers to us. Of all people a bunch of kids.” I get up and stand by his side. “There must have been a reason why he choose us. I like to think it was because he knew he never back down. We’d never give up!” he strikes a pose, balancing on his one good foot. “Learn the ancient ways of the ninja... and ninja never quite.”

            “He’s… right. If that means we have to swim of this island, then so be it!” Kai says determinedly. He walks into the water.

            “The enter ocean! But I didn’t bring my floaties.” Jay said disappointed.

            “Will if you got a beater plan.” Cole said. Kai groans as the water hit him in the face.