Chapter Nineteen

US Army Base, Germany, 1944

Nova

It was midnight on the last night that I had left to get them back to the base. A few times I'd reconsidered but was given a nasty electric shock as a result. I was sneeking around to the bunkers and hypnotising the soldiers with my powers. I still didn't know the extent of what I was capable. I'd also gotten to all the guards and hierarchy peoples in record time due to my abnormal speed.

"One group left," I whispered to myself as I rounded a corner to the last bunker.

This bunker housed the infamous Captain America and his Howling Commandos. They were the ones I wanted to get last just to have a bit of fun. I opened the door to the bunker slowly and quietly and he first person I saw was Sergeant Barnes.

James...

"Who?" I replied to myself aloud. I covered my mouth quickly, hoping no one heard me.

Shaking the thought out of my head I went over to the man known as Dum Dum Dugan (guy with the hat). He was the loud one so it was crucial to get him first. Gabe Jones, Jim Montgomery Falsworth and Jacques Dernier were the next ones to go.

Two left.

I made my way over to Steve Rogers and leaned over him a little to make sure he would look directly into my eyes. He woke suddenly, before I was ready, and made a loud noise before he actually looked into my eyes and fell into a trance. My heart raced. What if Barnes heard him?

One left.

I stood up straight and went to turn around when I came face-to-face with Barnes. He didn't look me in the eyes so he obviously saw what I did. I could see the pain and sadness expressed on his face and I instantly regretted my decision for some unknown reason.

"What are you doing Maria?" He asked with a quiet voice.

I didn't answer for a little while, not really knowing what to say.

"Maria?" He asked again.

"My name is Nova. Why are people calling me Maria?" I said back.

He looked at me confused, still avoiding my eyes. Then I think he figured out what was going on when he saw a Hydra emblem on my chest.

"Schmidt did this to you, didn't he?" He spat.

"Schmidt made me who I am. I should be grateful. You saw what I can do! I can do more as well, thanks to Schmidt." I retorted.

"Schmidt is the enemy! He's trying to take freedom from the world. He's using you to take down his leading vigilante." He explained.

"No! He said that he wants to give the world the freedom it deserves and you're all trying to stop him. He told me-" Barnes cut me off.

"Lies! Lies Maria. Why can't you see that? Why can't you remember?" He asked.

I was about to say something snappy back when I realised that I truly couldn't remember. I figured that was the reason why only saw Schmidt as the good guy. That's why I thought that everything Schmidt said and did was good, because I didn't know anything better.

Schmidt is the bad guy.

Barnes was now looking at me in the eyes. It was the prime opportunity to get him, but I didn't want to. I didn't want to do what Schmidt told me to do. Everything was starting to make sense now. I still didn't remember but I had enough evidence and common sense to figure out who the manipulator was.

Schmidt you bastard.

"I'm sorry...I'm so sorry," I said through sobs to Barnes.

"Don't apologise, you're the victim." He replied.

I suddenly remembered what Schmidt told me. I knew he would find me and take me back, probably manipulate me again to finish the mission. I started to panic at the thought.

"Maria it's ok! You're safe!" Barnes yelled as I screamed.

"No! He said if I didn't finish the mission I would be punished! He's coming for me James!" I said in pure fear.

Suddenly I saw Steve get up, my hypnosis had obviously worn off. He came over and was about to say something when the ticking noise came back. I looked at my wrist and saw the same red mark but ten times larger than before.

Oh god, help me.

My knees buckled and I fell. The pain was excruciating, nothing like what I'd felt before. Schmidt was trying to kill me, exterminate me before I spilled all the beans.

My vision began to fade and I could taste blood in my mouth. I think I was screaming too. I could see the silhouettes of Barnes and the others crowding me, yelling my name. My memories came back in a flash then they were gone again and they continuously kept going that. My whole body shook then I went still...