Chapter Fourteen

Hydra Base, Germany, 1943

Maria

I sat with the others in a corner of the cell. We hadn't seen Barnes for days after the guards came back and took him away. They were experimenting on him, I just knew it. I was so worried that my heart ached. I just needed to know that he was alive and ok. For all I knew he could've been dead that whole time.

I was lost in thought when I suddenly heard some commotion on top of us. Someone was up there. I listened carefully to see if I could hear them talking. The only thing I got was something about some 'Captain America' guy.

Who the hell is Captain America?

Guards began to fall dead around us. Whoever was up there was trying to free us. We all rushed towards the doors of our cells and waited. A large, masculine man walked down the isle of cells, breaking the locks and letting prisoners out. When he finally got to our cell (it was the last one) I tried to see who it was.

"Who are you?" I asked.

He stopped suddenly, probably realising my voice tone was different to the others. Slowly, he lifted his head.

Oh my god...

"Steve?" I asked, shocked.

"Maria? What the hell are you doing here?" He asked back as he broke the cell lock.

"I was deployed with the 107th. What happened to you!? You're so tall and...different," I said to him.

"Let's just say it hurt and so far it's permanent," he replied with a wink, ushering me out of the cell.

He walked to the front of the group, me following closely behind. Quickly he told us how we were going to get out and got us moving. I ran beside him, still in awe of how much he had changed.

"I didn't think I'd see you again," Steve said.

"I didn't think you'd make it over here!" I replied.

He laughed and patted my shoulder. Considering his change in looks, I thought he would have a little more women sense, but obviously not.

As we rounded a corner he sped off in search of other captives while the rest of us went into battle with Hydra. I grabbed a strange looking weapon and aimed it at one of the guards.

"Do you know how to use that thing?" A soldier standing next to me asked.

"Let's find out shall we?" I said back.

I held the trigger and a blue ray exploded out of the machine. It evaporated the person I aimed it at.

"Well - that's handy," the other man said as we glanced at each other.

He picked one up and went on an evaporating rampage. I ran, not knowing where I was heading in particular, when I was suddenly tripped, landing face first into the dirt. I coughed and spat as I picked myself up.

Ouch.

I looked to my right and didn't see anyone who could've done that then I looked to my left. I caught a glimpse of someone hiding behind a tank. Slowly I creeped up towards them. I wish I hadn't but I didn't know who it was until they stepped out of the shadows.

"Schmidt," I said grimly.

"Hello experiment 14315," he said in his thick German accent. "What a fine night to be escaping, yes?"

I didn't reply. My eyes were locked onto him as if I were waiting for a death ray to beam out of them.

"I'm afraid that I need you to come with me miss, I'm not quite done with you yet," he said as he lunged towards me.