Chapter 11🌴

Kim Seokjin was having a frown plastered on his face by looking at the hen house. He couldn't believe that Taehyung would give him such a difficult task. He was feeling like throwing up by the smell and all the poop on the ground.

"I am going to stay here?" Jin asked the farmer in disbelief. To which Taehyung just simply nodded before walking inside. He knew that the place would stink a little bit and he used to clean it every day.

Kim Seokjin followed Taehyung with his fingers on his nose to protect the smell from reaching it. He looked around and saw several hens eating food and some wandering freely. He wished to go back and live his life in the city instead of working here.

"This is the hen I talked about." Jin shifted his attention to the farmer who knelt down before one small hen house where a hen was sitting with closed eyes. Jin knelt beside Taehyung and tilted his head to analyze the bird.

"Is it sleeping?" Taehyung shook his head as a no and carefully reached his hands through the small bars to softly rub the hen's feathers. Jin flinched when he saw the hen waking up suddenly and shaking it's body like it loved the small patting.

Jin's eyes widened when his eyes spotted the egg below which the hen was sitting all the while.

"If you want to take care of the birds, I want you to stop referring them as "It," Mr.Kim. She is a mother of that egg and she deserves respect." Jin felt little ashamed for calling the farming animals as "It" like they were non living things.

"Okay, so am I supposed to take care of this egg?"

"Yes, since it's your first time I want you to watch over only one hen. And this is her." Taehyung's long fingers softly brushed the egg and he carefully placed the hen over the egg. Jin stood up along with Taehyung but his eyes couldn't avert from the beautiful scene of the mother protecting her baby.

"Only one? But I have seen birds laying eggs a lot and where they are kept in incubator and injected to prevent diseases." Jin said what he had seen in youtube videos. When Taehyung announced him about his duty, he immediately tried to search on the internet with the poor connection. And all those birds were white but this hen was brownish.

A soft chuckle left Taehyung's lips making Jin to furrow his eyebrows in confusion.

"Those chickens and eggs are breed for eating, Mr. Kim. But my farm house animals are breed for lives. Their eggs will hatch and new baby chicks will be born. And I want the eggs to hatch naturally with the warmth of their mother." Taehyung said while walking out of the hen house.

Jin understood finally what was the farmer speaking. Taehyung loved natural process and he didn't use any artificial pesticides for crops and injections for his animals. He still got lot more things to learn from this farmer.

"I am going to the farm, Mr. Kim." Taehyung stopped on his tracks when Jin called him.

"I-I was wandering what crops you are growing." Jin awkwardly scratched his neck back and waited for the farmer's reply.

"Rice paddy, Mr. Kim. It's the basic and important cultivation in any country. And I am planning to grow some fruits too. Maybe tangerines and pears." Taehyung shrugged his shoulders like nothing and raised his eyebrows when he got a small nod from Kim Seokjin.

"Okay. I am heading inside." Jin whispered without looking at the farmer and Taehyung saw Jin running inside the hen house.

"What's going on with him?" Taehyung murmured but shrugged it off before jogging to his farming field.

The sowing time of rice was June-July and it was harvested on November to December. He so badly wanted his rice paddy field to grow bigger. And wished to have a good harvest in this year. If he succeeded in this harvest, he would get chance to feed the homeless people for free.

People in outskirts of Daegu were living in streets by having their lands seized by many business men. He wanted them to have shelter and food to sustain their every day lives. And he could fill the innocent soul's stomachs only if the harvest turned out very well.

It was already August and only three more months to go and he hoped that the rain wouldn't turn into a disaster. So many people were living their lives by trusting on this harvest season.

While Jin on the other side was carefully looking at the hen who was clucking and giving some weird sounds. He knelt down on his knees and carefully reached his hands inside the small cage.

His fingers were shaking and he was afraid of the hen biting his hands. He looked for any signs of the hen opening her eyes. When he didn't get any response, with a light shy his pinky finger touched the feather of the hen.

Jin immediately drew back his hands and waited for the hen to get angry at him. But the hen simply shook his body and asked him to do more. He bit his lower lips and slowly reached for the hen's feather to pat it softly.

He saw how cute the hen jiggled her body to his soft touching.

"Hi, I am Jin. I-I will be taking care of you and your baby for the next few weeks. I hope we can be good friends." Jin introduced himself to the bird who gave a clucking sound in return. Jin took that as a response and smiled by seeing the hen enjoying his small talk with her.

"And you baby down there, I will protect you and your mother." Jin promised himself and softly brushed the hen's feather. After having some minutes of personal talk with the hen and the baby egg, Jin stood up with a smile on his face.

He looked around to see several hens circling his legs and trying to rub their heads on his feet.

"Oh no no. I can't be friends with you all." Jin whispered and tried to shoo away the animals but they loved to come back to him at the end of the day. Jin gave up by trying to push the birds away since they didn't leave him alone for a bit.

"Whatever." Jin murmured and started to go on rounds to check the hens eating their foods and some fighting each other. He thought it was not bad by seeing him spending his day here.

....

Note: Clucking- The sound that a hen makes.