Chapter 1

Basil

I'm awake before the alarm goes off. I didn't sleep much either. It's been three days.

"Morning, Chiron," I say, petting the Bernese Mountain Dog that wiggles happily, licking my face. It's hard to be uncheered when a hundred pound dog loves you so much it wags its whole body. And he does, his tail nearly touching his nose he wags so had, bending himself back and forth and big fat paws bouncing on the hard wood floor.

I climb out of bed, not bothering to turn on the lights. My blinds are pulled open and rain splatters the window pane. It'll clear up later though. The little ones will want to play in the yard.

I get dressed, no point in a uniform since our father isn't back. Still. Three days. What the hell could be taking three days?

I pull on a t-shirt and jeans, then go to wake the others. No need in them getting behind in their lessons while our dad is gone. And while he's away I'm in charge. Therefore, everybody needs to wake up on time and get to their chores.

I step out of my room and nearly trip.

"Hector, I told you. You can knock," I say, just catching myself from tripping over the five year old who is curled up in my doorway with his favorite stuffed toy, a bat for whatever reason. He's still wearing his little black soft fuzzy pajamas but nothing on his poor cold feet.

"You shouted at me for barging in your room. Helen did too," he says, rubbing his eyes.

"That's because we were talking. Privately," and kissing. More privately. "You can knock and I'll let you come in."

"I just had a nightmare," he says, holding his hands out to be picked up. I comply. He's still so tiny. Shouldn't he be bigger by now? He doesn't weigh thirty pounds.

"I know, it's okay, you can always come and get me," I say, giving him a good squeeze.

"Is Dad home?"

"No, not yet," I say, as coolly as I can when I'm getting increasingly worried, "Go on and let Chiron out, then go get dressed, okay?"

"Okay," he says, kissing my cheek before I set him down, "Do I have to wear my uniform?"

"No, cause dad isn't around, and I don't care," do the uniforms contain anti-possession symbols as well as special fabric that's hard to tear? Yes, yes they do. Are they uncomfortable and colossally stupid looking? Yes, yes they are. If I die they're not finding me in a wool sweater and button up trousers out of the 18th century.

"Yay! Come on boy," he says, taking the dog's collar. The dog more leads him down the old twisting wood stair case.

The light is already on in the bathroom. I knock on the door.

"Go away!" the bathtub is running and I hear splashing.

In my best impression of our dad, "Dam, turn that water off. Now."

"Basil?" very hesitantly because I would do something like this but also he doesn't trust it not to be our dad.

"Turn the water off and get finished up, Luke," I say using his real name, with a small smile, "I'll make breakfast." Our dad doesn't like him taking multiple baths a day. Nor do our sisters as he ties up the bathroom.

"What's for breakfast?" he asks.

If I say anything but waffles he'll take forever. "I'll make waffles don't bother with your uniform Dad isn't back."

"Awesome!"

"Just make sure it's dry in there. Nobody needs to slip," I sigh, before going down the hall to our sister's rooms. Two, empty. Helen and Raven went with our dad. They were supposed to be just going to Costco for supplies. It's been three days.