Chapter 12

Basil

I have to ride in the back of the car because both of my bio parents want to pick me up so I sit in the back like I'm fucking twelve. You could say I'm displeased with the situation. I haven't had a proper shave in two weeks. Nor a drop of alcohol. Apparently that's a sigh that I have a 'drinking problem'. I say that it's a sign that my one creature comfort has been removed.

I hope Della's okay. She's been kind of sad. Ever since she got pregnant it's hard to tell what's upsetting her, or what isn't. And I don't know if me being there does any good or not, but I like to try. She's a little sad, but her mother is nice. And we'll get her to the hospital when the baby's coming. That's the main thing, that she'll have proper care.

Luke's all right, mostly. He misses us at odd times. I'll call him later. His parents are overly supportive and he didn't show up pregnant or having gotten someone pregnant so they can be chill. He has an insulin pump now and a good supply of insulin. So he's safer than he was with us.

Hector is okay; he's fond enough of his aunt as he seems to remember her. And she likes me and says I can come over anytime to play with him. And Chiron is with him so I'm not too worried. He's been instructed not to strain her playing silly games. I think he won't he's good for Helen who he's afraid of. I told him to fear his aunt like he fears Helen and I think he got it.

Raven is not okay. Raven is not here with me. Raven is an actual time bomb and if she hasn't gone off that means that something bad got her. And she was little. Raven liked stories and playing on the Playstation and making me or our dad toss her up in the air and catch her. Raven was supposed to have a safe home. And now she's gone and I failed her.

Helen is not okay. Helen falls asleep best when I sing to her and braid her hair. Helen likes to be picked up and spun around. Helen does whatever she has to to get her way and is the fiercest person I've ever known so if she's not coming home that probably means she's dead. And I can't live with that, I don't think.

"Are you excited to start school?" I don't know what to call this person. I'm well aware he's my biological father. But that didn't go over well so I had to do something else.

"Sir?"

"School, they said you could start your junior year next semester."

"What now?" I have to go to a public education institute? This was not clear.

"CPS is requiring it, so that you get a bit into normal life," my mother offers.

"Oh okay-- can I not do that? Only the baby's due in a few months I thought I'd take care of it since it's mine?" and Della might want to go to college and she ought to she's smart.

"That isn't until spring—until then you can attend classes," my mother says, "After that the year will be over and we can reassess what you and Della want to do."

"Wait, does Della have to go as well? She's having a baby she shouldn't," I say.

"Yes, she does," my mother says.

"Fucking CPS—okay I'm going then," I'll have to be there for her if she has to go.

"About that---please do not swear around your brother and sister," that's Sir.

"I swear around them all the time ??? Social constructs around words are inherently meaningless and limit vocabulary," I say, frowning.

"Basil I am asking you not to swear around your brother and sister it is not polite and we do not want them doing it."

"Why do you care what Della and---oh you mean my new brother and sister right, got it, sorry," I may have only gotten two hours of sleep last night. Was this good? No. Was it intentional? Also no.