Chapter 44

Hector

"Mom never leaves the door open."

"Yeah, um—maybe it was an accident," I say, slowly pushing open the door to his mom's house. But there's blood on the floor. Goddamn it.

"Stay back," I say as Jasmine and Thyme follow me in, pushing Dean behind them.

"Mommy!" Dean starts crying as we reach the pool of blood in the middle of the kitchen. And the summoning circle painted on the wall.

"Isn't that to open a path to the Underworld?" Jasmine asks.

"That's my mom's writing," Thyme says.

"Yep," I sigh, taking off my glasses to pinch the bridge of my nose, "It has been a day."

"What happened?? Where's my mommy?" Dean asks, crying.

"Looks like the Underworld because someone, I'm guessing his mommy, sent her there, I'm going to assume because she was jealous of your mommy being friends with their and possibly your daddy," I say.

"Why would Aunt Helen kill someone though?" Jasmine asks.

"When I was Dean's age she once mind controlled me into not being able to find my toy so I'd leave Basil's room so she could make out with him. That was how jealous she was of his attention when she was perfectly sane and not at all affected by the Underworld," I say.

"Right so she lost her mind," Thyme says, "Where is she then?"

"I want to find my mom! Can't we go get her?" Dean asks.

"It's not as easy as that—the Underworld is a labyrinth that changes every hour, like the wheels of a clock---this entrance here is going to lead us to a different place than where she put your mom," I explain, "I'm pretty good at navigating down there but I'm not supposed to do it unless Basil knows I am so he can come get me, or I'm in fear for my life."

Thyme draws .45, cocks it, and points it at me, "Are you in fear for your life now?"

"Yep, that does it, excellent, field trip to the Underworld time, kiddos," I say, cracking my knuckles.

"Where did you get that?" Jasmine asks, pushing the gun down.

"Grandpa," Thyme says, shrugging.

"We're going to get my mom?" Dean asks, sniffling.

"We're gonna try—it's very important that you all hold my hands at all times. The Underworld doesn't infect my mind, or anybody under my protection, so you have to hold hands with me in a chain so I can protect you," I explain.

"How do you know that that works?" Thyme asks.

"Oh, Jas and I have tried this multiple times—so have Luke and I, we don't follow Basil's rules like 80% of the time," I say, putting my glasses back on, "Okay, let's go. Underworld time. Oh and the monsters are attracted to fear so no matter what—"

Jasmine and Thyme, in unison, "Don't be afraid."

"—exactly. And there's nothing to fear because I am with you and I am Death itself. What could be scarier than me?"

"Honestly a lot of things.'

"I want my mom."

"Literally me."

"You guys are lame—point being, I'm the scariest thing down there and I'm on your side so the monsters with sixteen heads and razor sharp tentacles are nothing."

"The what?" Dean, choking on his own spit.

"You'll see 'em soon enough it's fine. We're gonna go get your mom back."