Chapter 27

Basil

I haven't been in the women's senior dorms in years. Not since I was a freshman and got kicked out of it. Multiple times. I got invited in; I didn't see everyone's problem. Just because I was 'technically still seventeen' and 'having a threesome' and 'completely intoxicated and possibly high'. My errand this afternoon is much more legitimate. I have bot a dorm key and flip flops to return.

I drop those off at the front desk, texting Vanessa that she left them in my house. Then I move on to my real errand, stalking Luke's boyfriend. Should I? No. But I can't help myself. Luke needs to be messed with. It's good for him. And I have unlimited access to student documents as a part of my job.

Plenty of visitors are in the dorms today, study groups, friends and parents dropping off or picking up laundry. 22E is no exception. The boyfriend in question is trying to awkwardly fill up a laundry basket while a middle aged woman is unloading groceries and things.

"Hi, um---are you Grant?" I ask, sticking my hands in the pockets of my long coat.

"I'm Mrs. Grant this is my daughter, Daisy," the woman says, pointing at Grant, "And you are?"

"Hi, Grant, I'm Luke's older brother. He may or may not have told you not to talk to me that's cool," I say, holding up a hand to block the mother's face so she doesn't distract me with being offended.

"Um—hi," Grant says, red faced and clearly dying inside.

"So, I am going to pay you, forty dollars," I take the money out of my pocket, "To try to drown my brother—bathtub, pool, toilet----choice is yours. But I will pay you another forty dollars when you report the results to me, okay?" I say, holding out the money.

"Um---what?"

"Okay, perfect, thanks man," I say, putting the money into his hand and slapping his shoulder before leaving.

I don't even clear the front door before I get the phone call.

"STOP PAYING PEOPLE TO TRY TO DROWN ME."

"Now we know he won't so he's a keeper," I say, pleased with myself, as I walk out into the late afternoon sunshine.

"THERE ARE ABOUT FIFTEEN EASIER WAYS TO TELL IF I'M DATING A SERIIAL KILLER."

"Ah but I like this one, tell him to keep the money and go to a laundromat," I say, hanging up. My job here is done. Little brother properly annoyed for the day. And I determined his boyfriend is not a serial killer. Maybe. Give him time. 

This is supposed to be a good day. Jasmine is over for the rest of the week. But that's the thing. I don't like her over for a 'visit'. She's supposed to live with me. We are supposed to be a family. Not part time parents who take turns watching her. I don't want to live with Della in a romantic way I'm happy she has a husband who as no clue what goes on, but. I hate the six or seven days I have to wake up without a happy nine year old telling me what time it is and what a beautiful day it is. That's supposed to happen everyday. Instead I lie awake, wondering if its too early to call and make sure they're all right, and get up to an empty house. It's not supposed to be like that.

But as usual everyone else is fine with the arrangement but me. I'm the only one with a problem. I'm the only one who can't adjust. I know Jasmine is fine she's never known anything different really. That's the problem. She doesn't remember when I did live her and her mother. She was a baby then, it was perfect. I was across the hall from Della, I would go whenever Jasmine woke in the night and help hold or change her, she could run into my room if she woke up or got scared.

But apparently that wasn't normal. Della wanted to date and have her own life. My mother wanted me to come back and live with her. That lasted a week. And now I live alone. Part time.