Chapter 37

Helen

He hugs Basil then runs back inside. Happy as anything. They aren't even looking for me. His dad has him. They're happy. Without me.

I walk back into the dark woods, fighting tears from my eyes. I can't stand it. Who is he going to now? The woman in the red dress?

I know what her car looked like. If I find---I'll find her. If he likes her so much. So much more than me. Then I'll find her. She shouldn't have him. He's mine. He promised. When he was five years old he promised he'd take care of me. He lied. He's supposed to take care of me. Promises are supposed to mean something. They're supposed to last forever.

I find the red Nissan parked outside a little brick house. Not many neighbors close by. That's good. That's really good.

I walk up to the door, pushing my muddy hair out of my face.

"Hello?" she answers the door brightly, her hair bobbing around her face.

I stare at her. She looks so tall. So clean. So put together.

"Are you okay?"

"Who are you?" I ask, frowning. Suddenly I want to know her name.

"I'm Sam---I'm sorry I'm just running out I need to go pick up my son---do you want me to call you a cab?" she asks, a little nervously.

"No. No you're not going anywhere," I say, putting a hand her throat. She claws at me but I'm much stronger than her as I force her back, inside. I kick the door closed behind myself.

"What do you want?"

"You to be in as much pain as possible while you die. Pick up those scissors," I say, pointing to the counter.

Shaking, she goes, tripping over her own feet as I guide her to them. her fingers curling around the plastic, unwilling.

"Who---who are you?"

"The reason that warships and bombs and every other evil thing are called SHE. Now, you're going to pull out your own intestines," I say, as her hands, trembling, obey me even as she sobs.

"Please—"

"I do not know mercy," I say, grabbing her by the hair and dragging her across the room. Away from the window. "Now you are going to stab yourself in the stomach."

"Please—" she sobs even as hands obey.

"All I want is to watch you die. Go ahead and scream. He's not going to come and save you. They never do, this is how stories end. With screaming, and pain. And no one coming to save you."