Chapter 48

Hector

My aunt is crying which is bad for my blood pressure. If I have blood. I may not. I really should know that.

"She's okay—we need to call an ambulance," I say, wiping muck from the Underworld off of Jasmine's face as we back away from Sam, who I lay on the sofa. She's bloody and rather muddy but she's breathing. Just. Dean is attached to her, sobbing.

"I called an ambulance Hector --what happened?" My aunt asks, coming to check me for injury.

"We don't actually know that," I admit, "I'm sorry I've been out all night but we needed to find her."

"Of course I just worry about you—"

"Oh this is Thyme he's my nephew," I say, pointing at Thyme then frantically gesturing for him to stop shining the goddamn gun.

"Someone's coming to the door---I think it's a Titan," Jasmine says.

"What the tree outside told you?" Thyme asks, incredulously.

"Yeah???" in her most condescending voice.

"Let me answer it," I tell my aunt, going to the door, sure enough a very, very drowned looking worse for the wear Titan is standing there, holding an assault rifle which is frankly over kill since we're two feet apart.

"Frankly, that's overkill, we're two feet apart," I say, incredulously, as he shoots me in the chest.

My over excitable nephew plugs him in the head right over my shoulder. Which is remarkably good aim for a nine year old. Okay it's really good aim for anyone.

"I was going to step out of the way—damn," I say, rubbing my chest. Being shot does hurt.

"Is he dead now? Get back in here what have I told you about answering the door to strangers," my aunt says, fussing over me and---not---being—surprised? At all? As she dabs the blood off my good black shirt.

"You knew," I say, quietly.

"I have always known you were special, papi," she says, kissing my forehead, "That's not going to stop me from worrying about you."

"That was a good shot Thyme. Well, thank you. You're really indispensable with your excellent marksmanship Thyme—" Thyme is saying all this.

"Shut up you're as bad as your dad----we have to go," I tell my aunt.

"Stay safe," she says, giving me another squeeze, "And don't tell that police officer. I like how nicely he explains you've died."

"I won't," I say, grinning, as the ambulance people rush to the wrong corpse, "Jasmine, Thyme, take Sam to the hospital. I need to go find my sister."