Chapter 28

Detective Stamos

When I get the call about two suspicious minors identifying themselves as Rheas I just automatically call Basil. But he doesn't answer, probably passed out by now. Jesus, he started drinking at eight this morning. Hopefully it's just vagabonds who saw the name in the papers.

"They aren't very cooperative," the local cop who called me nods towards an interrogation room. "They were joyriding in a stolen convertible, going 200mph on the highway, flipping off police who tried to pull them over. I doubt it's any of the missing ones. They're probably just trouble makers but-"

"No these probably belong to me, let me talk to them," I say. Too much to hope that's Raven or Helen?

Inside the room is a girl, maybe sixteen, small but angry looking, with short cut hair spiked up, dressed in tight jeans and a bright orange shirt that has the sleeves cut off, to reveal a very familiar anti-possession mark, a star in a circle clearly tattooed on her shoulder. She's chewing gum and has multiple piercings in her ears.

Next to her sits a little boy, ten at the most, who has dark hair and very grey eyes, he's dressed like a little boy in a call of duty t-shirt and cargo pants, as well as boots, with an anti-possession tattoo on his wrist hopefully just in sharpie. He seems to be enjoying the experience. Both have their feet up on the table and arms folded.

"Who are you? I want to call my brother."

"I am the person who has your brother on speed dial," I say, holding up my phone as evidence, "What's your name?"

"Raven, this is Time," she says, "I need to call my brother. I want to talk to him."

"You want Basil?" I confirm.

"That's my dad!" the little boy says, cheerfully.

"Who's his mom?" honestly I have a decent amount of suspects.

"Helen," he says, glaring at me, "Do you know where my mom is?"

"Unfortunately, no," I say, leaning over to turn off the tape, "Where have you two been?"

"Prove to me you know Basil," Raven says, glaring at me as well.

"Basil says you're supposed to behave yourself for me, or he'll sacrifice a little toy he's got—Hatshepsut?" I say.

"Where is he!?" completely happy now, hopping up and kicking over her chair.

"Considering it's ten o'clock at night, at home. I'll call him," I say, speeding dialing him again. He picks up on the third ring.

"Hey, where are you and who are you under right now?" I ask, quietly. 

"My sleeping nine year old--???? What is so important I had to wake back up to my hang over?" he does sound hung over fucking shame. He's probably lying on his sofa watching cartoons with his kid. I was going to sleep too, but I'm here.

"I found your sister---and your kid," I say, at which Raven upon hearing her brother's voice, just tackles me and takes my phone to scream into it. I'm pretty sure he's making a similar noise on the other end.

"Where are you??? Come get me this stiff---" that's when I take my phone back from her.

"Do not set anyone on fire even the cop he's okay---" Basil is saying as I get it back.

"I'm okay?" It is ten pm on my day off.

"I love you very much Detective where are you?? I'm coming---I haven't had anything to drink since eight I swear—" he knows I will arrest him for driving drunk. But I don't think he'd drive drunk with his kid in the car.