12

"Sirius was in love with Jocelyn"

Lily's POV

My scream pierced the roar of the celebrating crowd. She was going to crash, I thought. And then, Sirius was diving after her with a speed I didn't know brooms could reach. But it wasn't fast enough. I could see, as he reached for Jo, that it wasn't physically possible for him to pull both of them back up. To my shock and utter horror, he didn't even try. He held Jo in his arms and twisted around. His back hit the ground making the most horrible sound I had ever heard.

It was then I realized Sirius was in love with Jocelyn.

Alice and I ran down the stairs of the grades as fast as our feet would carry us. People were shouting and crying. The entire Gryffindor team had landed and was frantically pacing around as Madame Pomfrey and the teachers assessed the damage. James was in shock. He stood there, eyes glued to the spot where Sirius and Jo lay unconscious in a heap of limbs and dark hair.

Jo looked so tiny cradled in Sirius' arms. I had never really fully grasped just how much bigger than her he was. Despite the fact he was unconscious and a thin thread of blood was running out of his mouth, Sirius was still holding on to her. Jocelyn's cheek was pressed against his bicep, and if it wasn't for the horror of the situation, I would have thought they belonged like that – with each other.

Then, I felt awful. Jo was James' girlfriend, and she would be appalled if I ever told her about my thoughts. I had to support James and stop being silly.

"James," I said. He didn't move or acknowledge me in any way, I took his hand. "James, let's make our way to the infirmary. They're going to bring them there"

He didn't say anything still. I couldn't just stand there and let him be in such pain. I hugged him and, after a second or so, he finally reacted.

"She said she was okay," he whispered, his voice shaking. "I should have known. I should have told her to quit the game"

"It's not your fault, James"

"He tried to save her. He tried to save her. He risked his life. I can't... Lily, my best friend, and my girlfriend. I can't..." it broke my heart. It must be awful for James to see two people he loved that badly injured.

It was also shocking to me that James has such trust in Sirius he didn't see what I saw. I didn't have the heart to tell him. First of all, I could be wrong even though I didn't think I was. And, it wasn't my business anyway. Sirius, as far as I knew, hadn't told anyone how he felt. I wasn't even sure he knew it himself.

"They will be fine, I'm sure they will be" Alice caught up to us that moment. She was shaking.

"They're unconscious..." she said, tears running down her face.

Remus and Peter arrived, too. Without a word, Remus hugged Alice. I was going to protest but she buried her face in his shoulder and sobbed quietly whilst he gently stroked her hair, so I let it go. I looked over at Sirius and Jo again and saw the teachers getting ready to move them.

"Let's go, they're taking them to the infirmary," everyone followed quietly.

Jocelyn's POV

My eyes were dry and sticky. It hurt a bit when I tried to open them. I was confused. Where was I? I blinked a few times and saw a ceiling. Why was I not in my bed? I looked around and realized with a jolt that I was in the infirmary. Then, the events of the game came back to me. I lifted my hand to examine the damage and heard someone rush over to me. My hand was good as new, thank Merlin.

"How are you feeling, Jo?" a pair of hazel eyes hovered above my face, filled with worry and fear.

"Hi, James," I said. My voice was a bit hoarse, but I smiled at him. "I'm okay. What happened?"