17

"I am going to kill Lord Voldemort"

A Sirius' POV

Something was off. I had noticed that since the start of the vacation Prongs and Jocelyn hadn't really spent a lot of time on their own, and they didn't touch much in that way in general, but today they were just acting strange. So, as the girls went to get ready for dinner, I pulled Prongs into a room with Moony and Wormtail.

"Alright, have you been fighting with Jo?" I asked him as soon as the door was shut.

"What? No, of course not"

"We think you have"

"I really haven't"

"Then what is going on with you two? And don't say nothing, we all agree you two are acting a bit strange" Moony jumped in. Thank you!

"Ah, well, we broke up"

I felt as if a rug had been pulled from under my feet. No. No, no, no. This couldn't be happening. It was hard enough staying away from her and pushing my feelings for her away when she was his girlfriend. I couldn't endure the torture of her being available to everyone but me. Absolutely not.

"What!? Why? No, you can't, you have to fix it" I said.

"We're better off as friends. Don't worry, she's okay with it" Prongs was so casual about this.

"But it's going to be awkward now! What about our little group? What about the team, Prongs? Think about the team!" Moony was starting to look strangely at me but panic was quickly building in my chest. I didn't feel like I was very in control of my actions or my words.

"Nothing is going to change. We're friends, good ones, actually. She'll be around just as much. And that girl loves Quidditch too much, even if it had been a dramatic breakup, which it totally wasn't, it still wouldn't interfere with the team" I wanted to strangle him. A part of my brain tried to signal to me to calm down, James didn't know what he was doing to me, but I was past calm, logical thinking.

"What happens when you date someone else!? How are you going to expect her to just be in the same group? What is wrong with you?!" Okay, I was losing it. Moony's expression scared me even more than the situation and I knew I had to leave or risk telling them the truth. "Whatever, I hope you know what you're doing, mate"

I walked out of the room, out of the house, and just kept walking. I didn't come back until it was well past midnight, and everyone had gone to bed.

"Sirius" well, not everyone clearly.

"Red, what are you doing here?" The kitchen was dark, so I hadn't seen her sat on the counter at first.

"I've been waiting for you to come back"

"You didn't need to do that"

"I am worried about you"

"I'll be fine" I scoffed. She made a noise and I rolled my eyes in the darkness "Yeah, yeah 'Sirius, you are a bad liar' I know what you're going to say. There's nothing I can do, Red"

"Well, I think you should wait a couple of months and then tell James the truth," she said.

"Are you mad? We have a strict rule about these things, and we have it for good reason"

"I think James will understand" she sighed. "If you wait a bit to tell him, of course. Not right now"

"It isn't going to help the situation. Doesn't matter if I tell James, Jocelyn doesn't feel the same way so what's the point? No, thanks, I know you're trying to help. But no. And I don't feel like talking about it anymore" I stormed out of the kitchen feeling like the universe was playing some huge prank on me and wondering if I'd ever feel okay again.