24

Sirius' POV

I woke up on New Year's Day feeling like absolute crap. My hands hurt and my head was spinning. It took me a moment to remember what had happened. Jocelyn. Jocelyn kissing a snake. The biggest snake of all. I couldn't think of anything or anyone worse than Rosier except for Snivellius.

"What the fuck!" I shouted to no one in particular. I was so angry.

"Oh, you're awake" Lily appeared somewhere in my vicinity.

"She's your friend. Explain. Was she cursed? Imperiused? Love potion?"

"I don't think so" Lily sighed. James joined her by my bed, and I decided to sit up and face them.

"I don't understand," I said.

"Neither do we, mate" James ran a hand through his already messy hair. "This is so out of character. He's not even the type of bloke she usually goes for"

"I just have a horrible feeling about this" Lily shivered.

"Go on" I demanded.

"She said she wanted to go for him precisely because he's the polar opposite of everything she's used to. Not just looks-wise, but personality-wise too"

"Why?" Remus joined our little meeting.

"I have no idea"

"She's been acting strange lately" I informed them. "I don't think she's been working with McGonagall. Most of the time I can't find her on the map"

"Do you think she's been... you know, with him?" Peter suggested.

"With Rosier? What like this has been going for a while?" James was absolutely horrified at the idea.

"It would make sense, wouldn't it? She wouldn't tell us about it" Remus said.

"This is Jocelyn we're talking about, guys. She's the most loyal person I know after Prongs. It doesn't make sense. There's got to be another explanation" I insisted. If I accepted that she just fancied him it would break me, and I wasn't sure I would be able to put myself back together.

"I agree, it's very strange, but I can't imagine any legit reason for her to snog him in the middle of the great hall" Remus commented. I had to hold on to my blankets to refrain from punching something again. I did not need that image back in my head.

"I agree with Sirius. This is not something Jo would do" Red said. "There must be an explanation. There's something we're missing"

"What if she just fancies him? I mean, he's a major dickhead but I know for a fact girl's like him" Peter supplied. I growled at him. He recoiled and put his hand sup. "Sorry"

"I thought Jo fancied Sirius," said Remus.

"You did?" I asked him.

"Yeah, but I'm sorry to say, mate, I was wrong. There's no way she would have done this if she liked you. She knows of all the people in school this was probably the only one you'd never forgive" he said, shaking his head.

"FUCK" James grabbed my hand before I reached the bedpost I was aiming for.

"No punching stuff, Padfoot. I need your hands to remain functional" he told me. I crossed my arms angrily.

"What do we do about Jo?" Peter asked.

"Nothing. She made a very public and strong statement. She needs to come to us" said Lily.

"Aren't you supposed to be on her side?" I asked her.

"I am. If we go after her she won't budge. Whatever is going on in her head she needs to sort out for herself. Pushing her won't work" Lily explained.