20

"Good night, love."

Halloween was always fun at Hogwarts. Especially, when the marauders decided to be in charge of organizing the party. I was in my room getting ready with Lily, and missing Alice so furiously it choked me.

"I miss her too," Lily said in a small voice.

"It's hard. She loved parties. She loved telling us what to wear or helping with hair and makeup" I sighed.

"And she would be fuming if she knew we were about to ruin it all crying," Lily said, fanning herself to try and stop the tears.

"True" I smiled a bit and Lily gave me a quick hug.

"Let's have a toast to her tonight" she nodded, and we exited our room together.

The marauders had outdone themselves. The joint classrooms we were using for the party looked scary and cool, exactly what you want for a Halloween party. This year I had even made an effort and put on a costume. Lily and I had chosen our costumes flicking through muggle magazines. Lily was Tinker Bell, from the animated movie Peter Pan. A classic. I have to say the green costume brought out her features and made a lovely combination with her red hair. I had decided to do a take on Marilyn Monroe. I even turned my hair blond and short temporarily. It felt very odd.

"Stop playing with your hair" Lily chastised me as we moved towards the bar.

"It feels really strange. Like I'm naked" I explained. I was so used to feeling the heavy waves on my back.

"Funny how a temporary haircut makes you feel naked, but you swaggered across platform 9 and 3/4 in a bra and thought it was perfectly fine," she said.

"You're never gonna let that go, are you?"

"Never" we were in a fit of giggles when we reached the bar. I poured myself and Lily a glass of fire whisky each and we raised our glasses solemnly.

"To Alice. She would be proud of us having fun and living life the way she said it was supposed to be lived" said Lily.

"To Alice" I looked up as if she could hear me from wherever she was. "I'll keep my promise. I'll find epic"

We drank and then Lily leaned closer to me. "Explain that"

I sighed. I had never told Lily what Alice's last moments had been like because I didn't feel like I could. It had taken all I had telling Remus what she'd asked me to. After that, I just couldn't bring myself to talk about it to anyone else. But it was time.

"She made me promise I'd keep looking for, you know, the fireworks," I said.

"And with good reason. You need to. I am" she replied.

"Yeah, about that, little missy. When did the marauders let you in on their secrets?"

"Is it obvious I know? I thought I was being cool and collected about it" she said. I snorted. Lily was a lot of things. Cool and collected were not amongst them.

"You were practically bouncing with excitement, and you wouldn't have found me on that windowsill at six am without the map" I reasoned.

"True that. Well, that's exactly when they told me. They said they'd been waiting for you to be back to normal to do it together, but I was worried about you enough that they decided to just let me in" she blushed.

"I'm glad. It felt weird being the only one in on it. Alice knew"

"Have you ever seen them?" she asked me, getting super close.